Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting October 25, 2022
Present Absent Paul Zimnik, President
Andrea Weaver, Vice President Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer Laura Ferguson, Secretary Royle Kidwell, Director Melissa Lentz, Director
Ronnie Lushbaugh, Director Jackie Park, Director
Nancy Sweet, Director
Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management Community Representative
S. Laurèn Mathews, Recording Secretary Several Homeowners
- Call to Order and Previous Meeting Minutes
Paul Zimnik, President of Whittier Community HOA, called the regular meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. with a quorum present.
Motion: To approve the minutes of August 23, 2022 as adjusted. Sweet/ Weaver Vote: 8/0/1
- Homeowner Open Forum
- Storm Water Management - A homeowner asked for updates regarding storm water management questions from the prior meeting, and expressed concerns about sufficient budgeting for unknown future issues.
The President clarified how budgeting needs are assessed for any committee, including contingency needs. It was also noted that any projects determined to be the responsibility of the City of Frederick would be removed from the new Reserve Study and relevant contributions adjusted.
Management addressed the scheduled removal of cattails this winter. She also noted extensions are in place for remaining work until construction in the area is further along.
- Cannabis Usage - A homeowner asked about the best way to address public smoking of cannabis in the community.
The President noted this concern can be addressed at the NAC meeting.
The Board also clarified that illegal drug usage on community property can be reported as trespassing.
- Management Report
- NAC - Community Representative
Mr. Weaver noted it is appropriate to follow state and local laws generally for reporting any illegal usage of marijuana. He then updated the Board on the below line items:
- Kellerton Park will be developed in five (5) phases and is expected to have a positive impact on home values for Whittier.
- Traffic patterns will be impacted on Tuscany, which is being redone and widened, and Yellow Springs, which is being increased into four (4) lanes. Construction begins January 2023.
- Calls for service and patrol checks have all seen an increase since Covid. Porch theft has lessened.
- November Annual Meeting - Daybreak Center
Motion: To approve hosting the Annual Meeting on November 22, 2022 at the Daybreak Center. Mask usage will be in accordance with Daybreak and local guidelines.
Weaver/Sweet Vote: 8/0/1
- Greenleaf Pool Shell/Step Repair - Ratify Approval
Motion: To ratify the email approval for Greenleaf to repair the pool shell and stairs, paid out of the Reserve Budget.
Sweet/Weaver Vote: 8/0/1
- Cobblestone Dead Tree Removal
Motion: To approve the removal of the diseased tree located in the common area across from 2406 Cobblestone. This service will be provided by Lee’s Tree Service for the amount of $1,480.00, paid out of the Operating Budget.
Lushbaugh/Sweet Vote: 6/2/0
- 2023 Operating Budget - Final Approval
The Board discussed the reasons behind assessment increases, financial stewardship, the low fees in comparison to other communities, how escalation clauses in contracts impact costs over time, how Reserve Studies are conducted, and the differences between a Reserve Budget and an Operating Budget.
Motion: To approve the final Operating Budget for 2023 as submitted. Sweet/Kidwell Vote: 6/3/0
- Deferred Assessment Resolution
Motion: The Association elects to apply all or part of the excess assessment income to the following year’s assessments and that such a final amount shall be at the Board’s discretion.
Sweet/Weaver Vote: 6/0/3
- Homeowner Concern/Tree Removal
Tabled pending arborist recommendation.
Action: Management will reach out to the city arborist for a recommendation.
- Access Agreement - Ratify Approval
Motion: To ratify the email approval for the temporary construction easement at the corner of Whittier Drive and Christopher’s Crossing for Frederick County to install a new curb ramp.
Sweet/Weaver Vote: 9/0/0
- Old Business
- There was no old business at this time.
- New Business
- There was no new business at this time.
- Committee Reports
- ACC: There were no updates at this time.
- Storm Water Management Committee: Contracts have been signed for removal of cattails this winter. Extensions are in place for remaining work until construction in the area is further along.
- Pool Committee: Remaining payment has been held since several items were sent back for repair. Final payment will be sent once repairs are complete. The Committee Chair also noted winterizing of necessary pool items and accessories.
- Townhouse Committee: The Townhouse Committee Chair thanked the other Committee members for their attendance. The Committee continues to hold open forums to address community concerns and issues. The Chair reviewed the topics addressed at the most recent forum, noting the majority have already been covered by the Board and remaining items will fall to the executive session.
The Board discussed the appropriate scope of the Townhouse Committee, its forum, and representation. The President commended the Townhouse Committee for their community engagement, and noted clearer parameters would be beneficial. The Board tabled this topic to the November meeting, with Board comments and discussion submitted via email in the interim.
- Condominium Committee: There were no updates at this time.
- Landscaping Committee: The community walkthrough has been completed. Replacements have been scheduled for various flowers, shrubs, and small trees throughout the neighborhood.
- Social Committee: The Committee Chair will speak with the school and teachers to see if the student choir would like to do caroling.
- Treasurer’s Report: There were no updates at this time.
Motion: To adjourn the regular meeting at 9:17pm. Sweet/ Weaver Vote: 9/0/0
Please note the next scheduled meeting will be held at 7:00 pm on Tuesday, November 22, 2022 at the Daybreak Center.
S. Laurèn Mathews Recording Secretary