Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting Minutes
January 26, 2021
Paul Zimnik, President
Royle Kidwell, Vice President
Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer
Ronnie Lushbaugh, Secretary
Laura Ferguson, Director
Nancy Sweet, Director
Andrea Weaver, Director
Roger Franks, Director
Michael Brown, Director
Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative
Renee Henning, Recording Secretary
- CALL TO ORDER:
Paul Zimnik, President of Whittier Community HOA, called the regular meeting to order at 7:36 p.m. with a quorum present.
- REGULAR MINUTES: The Board discussed the November 24, 2020 minutes as presented.
Motion: To approve the November 24, 2020 minutes.
Sweet/Andrea Vote: 9/0/0
- HOMEOWNER & GUEST FORUM:
- Condominium Fire/Insurance Update: Homeowners provided an update about the condo fire. The insurance was canceled because of that incident and they are currently looking for an insurance company. Most want verification that the Condo Community will no longer be a smoking community in order to insure. They had to pass a house rule for inside of the condo buildings, including patios and balconies.
- MANAGEMENT REPORT:
- Pool Contract Addendum/Minimum Wage Increase: Due to Maryland legislation which went into effect on January 1, 2020, the minimum wage increased again to $11.75 an hour. The 2021 Pool Management Contract amount will need to be adjusted to account for the additional labor cost. This additional cost was already included in the 2021 Operating Budget. The Board reviewed the Minimum Wage Addendum to the 2021 Pool Contract and approved. The Board requested copies of the original contract and asked questions in regards to the differences of quantity of hours. The pool hours of operation vary per pool due to use and scheduling needs of teams and community.
Motion: To approve the Minimum Wage Addendum to the 2021 Pool Contract.
Weaver/Ferguson Vote 9/0/0
- Lake Maintenance: A proposal from Aquatic Environmental Consultants (AEC) to perform the same lake management program that has been successful for many years to control the algae on the lake was provided to the Board. AEC recommends the lake is treated every two (2) weeks, but the City of Frederick only contracts for once-a-month treatment. The Association has been supplementing the City’s program with five (5) additional treatments. The cost has remained the same since 2010, $2,160.00 for five (5) treatments.
Motion: To approve the proposal from Aquatic Environmental Consultants to preform the same lake management program at the same cost of $2,160.00.
Jackson/Weaver Vote 9/0/0
- Deferred Assessment Resolution: Each year, Goldklang Group recommends for tax purposes, the Board pass a deferred assessment resolution. The suggested wording of the resolution is as follows, “The Association elects to apply all of part of the excess assessment income to the following year’s assessments and that such a final amount shall be at the Board’s discretion.” This resolution simply means that the Association will plan to use any surplus earned this year during the following year.
Motion: To accept Goldklang Group’s recommended resolution
Jackson/Kidwell Vote 9/0/0
- Reserve Investment Update: The Association currently has $247,642.76 in the Reserve Morgan Stanley Money Market. Management would recommend investing $100,000.00 into a 2023 CD and $100,000.00 into a 2026 CD to continue to ladder the funds.
Motion: To accept the recommended investment plan, investing $100,000.00 into a 2023 CD and $100,000.00 into a 2026 CD to continue to ladder the funds.
Jackson/Franks Vote 9/0/0
- COMMITTEE REPORTS:
- ACC Committee: Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, the ACC Committee has been reviewing and approving applications by email.
- Pool Committee: Planning to open the pools, as of now, with extra steps taken for COVID precautions.
- Townhouse Committee: Nothing to report.
- Condo Committee: See the Homeowner Forum for condo fire update.
- Landscape Committee: Some of the trees that were trimmed previously are already growing and will need additional trimming. Will be replacing flowers soon as well.
- Social Committee: Nothing to report.
- Treasurer’s Report: The Board reviewed the financial reports.
- OLD BUSINESS: There was no old business to discuss at this time.
- NEW BUSINESS:
- Pool Furniture: A Board Member saw some of the pool furniture laying out and believes it needs to be covered and protected from the elements. Management will mention it to the company in order to better protect them. A Board Member also mentioned an idea of potentially selling old pool furniture instead of dumping them.
- ADJOURNMENT: There being no additional business for the Board to conduct, the meeting adjourned at 8:22 p.m.
Motion: To adjourn the regular meeting at 8:22 p.m.
Franks/Jackson Vote: 9/0/0
Please note the next scheduled meeting is to be held on Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 7:00pm.