Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting Minutes
November 24, 2020
Paul Zimnik, President
Royle Kidwell, Vice President
Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer
Ronnie Lushbaugh, Secretary
Laura Ferguson, Director
Nancy Sweet, Director
Andrea Weaver, Director
Roger Franks, Director
Michael Brown, Director
Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative
Renee Henning, Recording Secretary
- CALL TO ORDER:
Paul Zimnik, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. with a quorum present.
Weaver/Kidwell Vote: 8/0/0
- ANNUAL MEETING: There was not a quorum for the November 24, 2020 Annual Meeting as a quorum of 10% of all homes or 159 homeowners being present in person or by proxy was not reached. There are 3 candidates for the 3 Director positions up for election this year. Under Maryland law, with correct notice, the Annual Meeting will be rescheduled on January 26, 2021 and those present will constitute a quorum for the purpose of holding the election.
- REGULAR MINUTES: The Board discussed the October 27, 2020 minutes as presented. The Board provided some corrections.
Motion: To approve the October 27, 2020 minutes with the provided corrections.
Sweet/Ferguson Vote: 8/0/0
- HOMEOWNER & GUEST FORUM:
- Questions About Budget: Homeowners asked questions regarding the items on the budget, including the pool and questions regarding whether it would be open in the summer. The Board explained the itemized lines in the Budget that were called to question, as well as considered some suggestions about providing details of expenses and the Budget items in a manner that would be easier for Homeowners to understand.
- Email Distribution List: A Homeowner asked if there is an email distribution list for the Community. The Board explained that the website (https://whittieronline.org/) has a link on the main page where Homeowners can ask to be added to the email distribution list. All upcoming or relevant details are also shared there. Meetings are listed there as well.
- Ausherman Property: A Homeowner asked about the status of the construction area on the Ausherman property and if it is complete. They noted that it does not look like they finished restoring the area. The Board can ask if the construction is complete but did explain the fence will not be replaced. The Homeowner additionally asked if there will be anything between the new development and Whittier when it is completed. The Board has not had clarity if there will be a divider, but there are no trespassing signs posted.
Action: Management will contact Ausherman to ensure they will be reseeding the grass areas when they complete the construction.
- Christopher Crossing Turn Sign: A Homeowner mentioned that they would like to post a turn only sign in the lane on Christopher Crossing. The Board mentioned they cannot post anything, but Homeowners can request a traffic flow study to be conducted by the City to potentially add signs. The Board also mentioned that the City will more than likely be doing additional studies as the construction of the Ausherman property develops.
- MANAGEMENT REPORT:
- Reserve Investments: The account record as of 9/30/2020 was provided for the Board’s review. The Association’s Morgan Stanley Money Market Reserve account currently has $224,830.00 with an additional $40,000.00 CD that matured on 11/2/20. After paying the Continental Pools fall pool repairs invoice, Management recommends $30,000.00 is invested in a 2023 CD, $50,000.00 is invested in a 2024 CD, and $50,000.00 invested in a 2025 CD to continue to ladder the funds.
Motion: To continue to latter the funds by investing $30,000.00 in a 2023 CD, $50,000.00 in a 2024 CD, and $50,000.00 in a 2025 CD, after paying the Continental Pools fall pool repairs invoice.
Sweet/Lushbaugh Vote 8/0/0
- COMMITTEE REPORTS:
- ACC Committee: Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, the ACC Committee has been reviewing and approving applications by email.
- Pool Committee: Nothing to report.
- Townhouse Committee: Nothing to report.
- Condo Committee: Nothing to report.
- Landscape Committee: Nothing to report.
- Social Committee: Nothing to report.
- Treasurer’s Report: The Board reviewed the financial reports.
- OLD BUSINESS: There was no old business to discuss currently.
- NEW BUSINESS:
- Townhome Budget Fees: A Board Member posed a question regarding fees for townhome owners in the Budget, regarding why it is more than single-family and condominiums. The Board and Management explained that the fees are calculated per the legal documents as services that benefit a specific neighborhood are paid by that neighborhood. Each homeowner in Whittier pays the General Assessment.
- Flyers on Mailboxes: A Board Member brought up that there are advertisements posting up on the mailboxes and the tape ends up destroying the mailboxes. Previously the Board has had to replace the mailboxes and it costs a significant amount. They are also federal property and should not be defaced. They also mentioned that the paint is beginning to chip and should be redone soon, they should be inspected for rust or repairs needed.
Action: Management will look at when the mailboxes were last painted and the cost for repainting and handling any repairs and will provide follow up details to the Board.
- ADJOURNMENT: There being no additional business for the Board to conduct, the meeting adjourned at 8:21 p.m.
Motion: To adjourn the regular meeting at 7:31 p.m.
Jackson/Weaver Vote: 8/0/0
Please note the next scheduled meeting is to be held on Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 7:00pm via Zoom video call due to COVID-19 restrictions.