Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting Minutes
June 23, 2020
The Board of Directors of the Whittier Community Association met via Zoom video call on June 23, 2020, at 7:15 p.m.
Paul Zimnik, President
Royle Kidwell, Vice President
Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer
Ronnie Lushbaugh, Secretary
Laura Ferguson, Director
Nancy Sweet, Director
Michael Brown, Director
Andrea Weaver, Director
Roger Franks, Director
Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative
Renee Henning, Recording Secretary
- CALL TO ORDER:
Dr. Paul Zimnik, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:21 p.m. with a quorum present.
- REGULAR MINUTES: The Board discussed the May 26, 2020 minutes as presented. The Board moved to accept the minutes as presented.
Motion: To approve the May 26, 2020 minutes as presented.
Weaver/Brown Vote: 5/0/0
- HOMEOWNER & GUEST FORUM:
- Pool Closing Concerns: The Association had a Pool Community Meeting at 6:00pm with the Association’s attorney and approx. 58 homeowners in attendance. The attorney gave a presentation giving the reasoning behind the Board’s decision to close the pools. The attorney and the Board answered questions until approx. 7:15pm when the Regular Board meeting was called to order. The pool concern questions continued into the Board meeting. A few Homeowners expressed concern regarding closing the pools, believing they should be able to open. They also commented that they didn’t understand the insurance and liability concerns for the pools during COVID-19. The Board explained that the lack of insurance coverage, liability concerns and restrictions are the main reasons the pools are staying closed and that they will not be opening for the season.
- Social Media: A few Homeowners expressed that they would like to have an email address for the Board to address issues instead of going through the current chain of communication by presenting all concerns to Management or via the website’s contact form. They also requested more social media presence from the Board. The Board expressed that they understand the concerns and will continue to try to mainstream and open up communication as much as possible. The Board also explained the reason why they use the website as the main source of communication and the current communication chain is because it is the best way to mainstream concerns at this time. One Homeowner offered to volunteer and help with the communication. The Board will consider other forms of communication.
- Parks and Tot Lots: A Homeowner asked if the tot lots and parks are opened. The parks are City owned and maintained and are open now. The Association owned tot lots are also open at this time. The Board does not have any information regarding potential liabilities regarding the tot lots. The tot lots are not monitored like the pools, so they do not have the regulations in the same way as the pools,.
- Community Yard Sale: A Homeowner expressed their frustration with the yard sale being cancelled. The Board explained, again, why the community yard sale as an Association event needed to be cancelled. They also reminded them they are more than welcome to host their own personal yard sales, but the community wide event is cancelled. It was a decision made to be as judicially and financially responsible as possible during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- MANAGEMENT REPORT:
- Ratify Pool Closing Decision: The Board had an executive session meeting by Zoom with Craig Zaller, the Association’s Attorney, on Tuesday, June 9th, 2020. After a detailed discussion of the various obstacles and restrictions related to opening the pools, Mr. Zaller gave the advice that the pools should not open this summer. The main reason the attorney advised not to open is the exposure of the Association to liability as there is no insurance coverage for COVID-19 related deaths or illness. The Board unanimously approved to close the pools this summer and have Continental Pools complete maintenance only contract at the three (3) pools.
Motion: To ratify the executive meeting decision to close the pools for the summer and continue with the maintenance only contract with Continental Pools.
Weaver/Kidwell Vote 9/0/0
- COMMITTEE REPORTS:
- ACC Committee: Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, the ACC Committee has been reviewing and approving applications by email.
- Pool Committee: See above items regarding pool closings.
- Townhouse Committee: There is a home that had been burnt down by a fire a few years ago. Management stated that it is in the process of being fixed/rebuilt.
Action: Management will reach out to the Homeowners to obtain a status.
- Condo Committee: Nothing to report.
- Landscape Committee: The new flowers were planted and evergreens will be trimmed. There are a few dead trees that have been spotted and will be passed along to Ruppert Landscapes.
- Communications Committee: Nothing to report.
- Social Committee: Nothing to report.
- Treasurer’s Report: The Board reviewed the financial reports.
- OLD BUSINESS: There was no old business to discuss at this time.
- NEW BUSINESS: There was no new business to discuss at this time.
- ADJOURNMENT: There being no additional business for the Board to conduct, the meeting adjourned at 8:31 p.m.
Motion: To adjourn the regular meeting at 8:31 p.m.
Sweet/Weaver Vote: 9/0/0
Please note the next scheduled meeting is to be held on Tuesday, August 25, 2020 at 7:00pm via Zoom video call due to COVID-19 restrictions.