Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting Minutes
March 26th, 2019
The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at Daybreak Adult Day Service Center on March 26th, 2019, at 7:00 p.m.
Paul Zimnik, President
Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer
Nancy Sweet, Director
Laura Ferguson, Director
Andrea Weaver, Director
Bill Watt, Vice-President (Resigned)
John Arkoian, Secretary
Mike Desimon, Director (Resigned)
Eric Struntz, Director (Resigned)
Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative
Renee Henning, Recording Secretary
Roger Franks & Mike Brown (Potential Board Member Candidates)
- CALL TO ORDER:
Dr. Paul Zimnik, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 6:56 pm with a quorum present.
- REGULAR MINUTES:
The Board discussed the January 22nd, 2019 minutes and noted some edits.
Motion: To approve the January 22nd, 2019 minutes with the noted edits.
Weaver/Jackson Vote: 5/0/2
- HOMEOWNER & GUEST FORUM:
No comments from Homeowners.
- MANAGEMENT REPORT:
- Vote to Appoint New Board Members: Mike Brown and Roger Franks were nominated as potential new board members.
Motion: To nominate both Mike Brown and Roger Franks as new appointed board members.
Jackson/Weaver Vote: 5/0/0
- Pool Matters – Spring Opening Repairs: The Spring repair proposals from Continental Pools to prepare the pools for opening. Continental Pools will attend the Board meeting to answer any Board questions regarding the proposals.
Board requested that Continental Pools provide history of repairs each time with the proposals of work to be done. Continental Pools agreed to provide history of repairs and work orders associated with them to help make future decisions.
Continental Pools explained that the water pressure was low in the Cobblestone pool which is not normal for the pool. This could cause serious damage and the best way to eliminate the problem is to conduct a pressure test.
The Board asked questions in regard to the items that were listed as not necessary but recommended with Continental Pools, especially the installation of the automated chemical controller systems (estimated at $6,300 each). Continental Pools explained that they are not necessary at this time but will be required in the future and should consider when would the Association would want to install them. The rest of the items that are listed for replacement are standard process of replacing items that need replacement after the winter season, sitting unused.
Continental Pools did note there was a typo in the proposal for a rope floats line item. The price for that specific line item will decrease once resubmitted. The Board discussed the proposals and determined that they would approve the work listed except for the chemical controller installation and the correction to the rope floats line item. With those corrections the new total should be approximately $14,687.50 after the adjustments.
Motion: To approve the proposals provided by Continental Pools, with adjustments provided, totaling approximately $14,687.50.
Jackson/Brown Vote: 7/0/0
- Pool Matters – Swimteam Practice and Meet Schedule: Management contacted the Whittier Riptides to obtain their Swimteam practice and meet schedule. Sarah Wirth, the Swimteam Chair, provided the proposed practice schedule and meet dates for the Greenleaf Pool.
Motion: To approve the Whittier Riptides Swimteam practice and meet schedule.
Jackson/Sweet Vote: 7/0/0
- ACC Variance Request – *****: This Homeowner is requesting a variance to have a standing-seam metal roof on the rear addition of their home. The Homeowner stated that the roof line is too flat to use typical roofing. There are other homes that have similar variances. The Board determined that the variance would be approved as long as it matched the roof color.
Motion: To approve the variance request to have a standing-seam metal roof on the rear addition of their home.
Ferguson/Weaver Vote: 7/0/0
- ACC Committee Guideline and Application Recommendations: Board provided changes for the Guideline and Application for ACC to update. They provided updates to wording on the guidelines. The Board determined the wording would be approved and submitted to the ACC to make the appropriate changes.
Motion: To approve the changes and updates for the ACC Committee Guideline and Application.
Jackson/Weaver Vote: 7/0/0
- Balmar Alley / Dunmore Tot Lot Wood Border Replacement: The wood border surrounding the Dunmore Ct tot lot is rotting and should be replaced. Management obtained three (3) proposals to remove and replace the border.
Motion: To approve the proposal to replace the tot lot border surrounding the Dunmore Court tot lot that is rotting and should be replaced by Gardeners General Contractor.
Sweet/Ferguson Vote: 7/0/0
- Ausherman Proposed Waterline Easement Acquisition: As was previously discussed at the January meeting, Ausherman Development has requested two (2) easements on Whittier Association common area for the purpose of completing water line interconnections with the Kellerton project. Ausherman provided a summary of the easements and proposed consideration.
On March 14th, Paul Zimnik, Board President, met with Jeremy Holder, Ausherman Representative, on site at the forest conservation area located off Longfellow Court. They identified ten (10) trees that would be removed for the construction. The large Pin Oak that was discussed at the January meeting will not be disturbed.
Yankee Land, LLC / Ausherman has offered the following in exchange for the easements on Whittier Open Space:
- 20’ Public Waterline Easement – Section 9 Plat 16 - $4,676.00
- 20’ Public Waterline Easement – Section 13 Plat 1 - $519.05
- Develop Easement documents and temporary construction easement documents
- Approx. $1,800.00 for legal consultation to review documents
- Large Pin Oak tree will not be disturbed
- Ten (10) trees to be planted in Whittier open space as directed, to replace trees that will need to be removed for construction
Board discussed the easements and ground covering that will not require mowing, is low maintenance, and the option of redoing some planting in that area. The discussed the next step would be to request Ausherman to provide the documents for approval.
Motion: To approve Ausherman Development the authorization to proceed with the accept proposal and authorize creation of legal framework to be reviewed later.
Weaver/Jackson Vote: 7/0/0
- COMMITTEE REPORTS:
- ACC: Report provided for review.
- Pool Committee: none
- Townhouse Committee: none
- Condo Committee: none
- Landscaping Committee: none
- Website Committee: New website server selected with new contract at lower rate.
- Social Committee: none
- Treasurer’s Report: Financial reports were provided.
- OLD BUSINESS:
- Yard Sale: The annual yard sale typically is on the second (2nd) Saturday in June, which would be the 8th of June in 2019. Have talked about in the past about doing both Saturday and Sunday for longer times instead of just a half day on Saturday. This year would like to do Saturday and Sunday and extend the hours to 8am to 5pm both days.
Motion: To approve changing the times for the Annual Yard Sale to both Saturday and Sunday, June 8th to 9th, from 8am to 5pm.
Jackson/Weaver Vote: 7/0/0
- NEW BUSINESS:
There was no new business discussed.
- Lake Run Offs: The Board discussed the run offs from the lake and potential solutions. One idea was to plant water lilies that would help absorb the algae. Management determined that they would still need to ask the City in regard to making any changes and to see if it would be approved and if the Association would have to pay for the lilies and installation. The request has been placed for the drain to be cleaned out along with photos being sent.
Action: Management will ask the City about the water lilies idea to see what their response will be.
There being no additional business for the Board to conduct, the meeting adjourned at 8:28 pm.
Motion: To adjourn the meeting.
Weaver/Jackson Vote: 7/0/0
Please note the next scheduled meeting is May 28th, 2019 at 7:00 pm.