Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting Minutes

October 25, 2011

The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at the Somerford House, Frederick, Maryland on October 25, 2011 at 7:00 p.m.


Bill Watt, President
Eric Struntz, Vice President
Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer (arrived at 7:02pm)
Jenny Marino, Secretary
Paul Zimnik, Director
Bill Ryan, Director
Michael Brown, Director
Gary Wass, Director




Others Present

Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative
Shelly Henning, Recording Secretary
Joe & Gloria Parsley, Homeowner
Erlene Moser, Homeowner
George Long, ACC Chair




Mr. Bill Watt, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:00pm with a quorum present.




The Board discussed the September 27, 2011 minutes.
Motion: To approve the minutes.
Marino/Ryan Vote: Unanimous




A Homeowner, brought up concerns with the trash only getting picked up once a week. The Condominium has asked the City to pick up more frequently because they do not have enough space for all of the trash. She was also concerned with a rodent problem. Residents have noticed that the rats are coming from the storm management area and are in their trash corrals and she would like Management to check into what could be done to rid that area of the rodents.

Action: Management to get an update with the City on the pilot trash program.
Action: Management to have an exterminator look at the storm management area and determine if anything can be done about the rodents.




A. Snow Removal Contract:
The Board is reviewed a contract from Classic for the snow removal. The Association is only responsible to clear the common sidewalks in the community, as the streets are City owned and maintained and are plowed by the city. The Board asked if Management would check to see if Classic could give a better price.
Motion: To approve the contract.
Ryan/Jackson Vote: Unanimous
Action: Management to ask for better pricing.

B. *******/ Shed Violation:
The Board had requested that the Homeowners attend the next Board meeting to discuss their shed that was installed in violation of the architectural guidelines. The Board discussed with the Homeowners their concerns about the shed that looks like a detached garage. The Homeowners pointed out that they could not get a car in the shed. The ACC felt that this was not the shed that had been applied for, the Homeowner had applied for two doors on the shed but had not specified one door would be a roll-up door. The Board stated that they want to remain consistent in the community. The Homeowner agreed to make it look “more shed like” than a garage by placing shrubs by the rollup door.

C. 2012 Final Budget Approval:
Management has received only 2 comments from homeowners regarding the new budget that Management mailed out. Upon the board’s final budget approval, the assessment notice and new payment coupon will be mailed in November.
Motion: To approve the 2012 budget as it is written.
Struntz/Ryan Vote: Unanimous

D. Deferred Assessment Resolution:
The Board discussed with Management that if they were to have any excess money that the Association will plan to use it the following year.
Motion: The Association elects to apply all or part of the excess assessment income to the following year’s assessments and that such final amount shall be at the Board’s discretion.
Struntz/Ryan Vote: Unanimous

E. Payment Plan Request/*******:
The homeowner is requesting the Board approve a payment plan to pay off his balance of $2,180.00. He would like to pay $1,180.00 up front followed by 4 payments of $250.00. They are not asking for any forgiveness of any money. While making the payments as agreed the attorney will not pursue collection.
Motion: To accept the $1,180.00 due by no later than November 30, 2011, then $250.00 to be paid each month until paid in full by March 31, 2012. If there are any missed payments legal action will resume.
Struntz/Ryan Vote: Unanimous

F. Annual Meeting:
The next scheduled meeting will be at the Whittier Elementary School and it will also be the Annual Meeting. Management confirmed with the Board that they would like to have the 2 drawings for one (1) year free General dues ($285.00). There are 3 positions up for election, Mr. Zimnik and Mr. Brown positions and a vacant position. Mr. Fowler is running for the vacant position.





A.  ACC: none

B.  Pool Committee: none

C.  Townhouse Committee: none

D.  Condo Committee: not happy with the once a week trash.

E. Landscaping Committee: A big tree limb is down on Rocky Springs .

F. Communication Committee: none

G. Social Committee: There are benches around the Lake that need to be repaired. It was noted that they are owned by the City and not sure if the City is able to repair them under the current budget cuts. The question was asked if Companies could adopt a bench. The Association would have to get the City’s approval. At some point the Social Committee would like to do an “art in the park” event.

H.  Treasurer’s Report:  Management to check on a settlement to see if the Association has been paid.





A. Road Closure/Greenleaf:
The City and County have not been able to come to an agreement. The Board noted that it looks bad. Management will ask Ausherman if they can improve it with the understanding that whatever is done cannot be permanent.
B. 3 Way Stop at Greenleaf and Independence:
Homeowners have asked for a 3 way stop at Greenleaf and Independence. A traffic study would need to be done.
Action: Management will put in a request with the City.
C. Theft Concerns:
There was a break-in the neighborhood. It happened in the middle of a morning. Police also told Management that there has been a large number of thefts from vehicles left open in Frederick and to make sure your car doors are locked.




A Board member wanted to get the thoughts of Management and Board members regarding possibly installing a shed at the baseball field behind the school. A little league wanted to put a shed there if the City will allow it. The City may require a slab. The Board thought it should look similar to the sheds in the neighborhood.




There being no additional business for the Board to conduct at this time, the Board meeting adjourned at: 8:59pm.
Motion: To close the meeting.
Ryan/Brown Vote: Unanimous



Please note the next scheduled meeting is November 22 at 7:00PM.



Respectfully yours,


Shelly Henning
Recording Secretary