Minutes

           
Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting Minutes

January 24, 2012

The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at the Somerford House, Frederick, Maryland on January 24, 2011 at 7:00 p.m.


Present

Bill Watt, President (arrived at 7:04) |
Eric Struntz, Vice-President
Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer
Paul Zimnik, Director
Jenny Marino, Secretary
Michael Brown, Director
Gary Wass, Director
Dave Fowler, Director

 

Absent

Bill Ryan, Director

 

Others Present

Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative
Shelly Henning, Recording Secretary
Cristina Reis, Homeowner
Nancy Sweet, Homeowner
Paul & Emily Eigenbrode, Homeowners

 

 

I. CALL TO ORDER
 

Mr. Bill Watt, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:02pm with a quorum present.

 

II. MINUTES

 

The Board discussed the November 22, 2011 minutes. Motion: To approve the minutes. Jackson/Struntz Vote: Unanimous

 

III. HOMEOWNER FORUM/SPECIAL GUESTS

 

A. A homeowner raised concern that they were noticing more trash in the community. Some homeowners are not taking care of their homes, there is junk in back yards. They had noticed a car that was consistently parking in the alley. Some neighbors have been posting signage in their yards advertising their businesses. Management asked that the Homeowner send emails to Vanguard with any concerns when they are noticed. The Board also suggested that they send pictures to the Management.

B. Echo Glenn II has had a problem with kids sledding on their property. There has been a lot of damage. They have torn up fences, and plantings. The Homeowner’s of Echo Glen have called the police – the police spoke with the kids but to her knowledge there was no outcome. They will sled at midnight. The Board suggested taking pictures but this is really a police matter. They asked if something could be put on the web to inform the parents of the problem.

 

IV. MANAGEMENT REPORT

 

A. Whittier Lake Maintenance Proposal:
Aquatic Environment Consultants (AEC) has given a proposal to perform the same lake management program that has been successful for the last several years to control the algae on the lake. They are recommending the lake is treated every two weeks, but the City of Frederick only contracts once a month treatment. The Association has been supplementing the City’s program with five additional treatments. The cost has remained the same as last year, $2,160.00 for the five treatments. The Lake looked good all year. Motion: To approve. Struntz/Fowler Vote: Unanimous

B. ADA Regulations Regarding Swimming Pools:
As of March 15, 2012 Association swimming pools are now subject to the Title III requirements in the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) when they offer membership to the public and host swim meets open to the public; when they do so, they are considered places of “public accommodation”. Since the Whittier Association sells outside pool membership and has swim meets, the pool is required to have two accessible means of entry such as a lift or sloped entry to comply with the ADA. The Board has several options to consider:

  1. If the Board were to stop selling outside membership and no longer allow the swim team to have swim meets at the pool, the pools can remain as they are now without modifications as they are considered “private pools”.
  2. To modify the Greenleaf pool and have two lifts installed for approximately $7,800.00. This would allow the swim team to have meets and the Association would only be able to sell outside memberships to the Greenleaf pool.
  3. To make all three pools meet the requirements by installing two lifts at each pool for approximately $23,400.00.

The revenue from the outside membership is approximately $20,000.00 last year the Association received $23,000.00. There was concern that complying with the ADA could become a never ending problem. If we were to only do one pool and an outside membership went to a different pool we could incur fines. If we decide not to comply then we will lose $20,000.00 from the loss outside membership per year and will have to raise the member’s HOA to cover that income. There were questions about who would operate the lifts? Would that person have to be certified? What is the warranty on the lifts? What would the cost be to upkeep them? Once the lifts are installed, how would they impact the pool for meets and swimming? Will the insurance go up? Can Management get a photo of the lifts that are already installed at a pool? What would be the penalty if someone with an outside membership were to be at another pool that was did not have the lift? The Board decided to table this until Management could get answers to questions. Action: Management to have pools measured to see if 1 or 2 lifts were needed at each pool. Management to check with attorney’s for their opinion. Management to see if the questions stated above could be answered.

C. Homeowner Pool Pass Distribution:
Upon Board approval of these materials, management would like to have the pool information printed and mailed out by late March or early April. In order to save money on printing and postage, we are offering to post the “Swimming Pool Guidelines” on the Vanguard website rather than mail them in the package. Within the package, the homeowners will be directed to the website to review the guidelines. Tabled

D. Whittier Swim Team Request:
The Swim team has again made a request that the Board allow the swim team to use the Greenleaf pool for their practices. If the Board agrees, the Greenleaf Pool would be the pool that opens 11-7. The Board will also need to decide which pool will remain open while school is in session, last year it was the Cobblestone pool. Tabled

E. Towing For Expired Tags:
Cars that are parked in the townhome parking lot that have expired tags will be towed. Management will follow the guidelines and tow the car. The residents are given notices.

F. Storm Drain/Laketree Condominium Rat Issue:
Laketree Condominiums is having their first meeting in April and would like to put on hold until April. Tabled

 

V. COMMITTEE REPORTS

 

A.  ACC: none

B.  Pool Committee:none

C.  Townhouse Committee: none

D.  Condo Committee:

    1. Ridgeview II: No issues that they are aware of. Loved the National Night Out and would like to see more of them.
    2. Echo Glenn: Property destruction from snow sledding. Dog walkers are not picking up after the dogs.
    3. Laketree: Dog walkers are not picking up after the dogs.

E. Landscaping Committee: There was a question if they did a leaf fall clean up. They usually do two but think they may have only done one.

F. Communication Committee: none

G. Social Committee: Mr. Wass would like a committee to set up socials on the lake and it would be helpful to use the web site to get volunteers for the committee. Some ideas for the Lake are:

  • Celebrate Frederick – but they are cutting back due to the economy. They do have a fund raiser and then some of the funds would come back to where the event was held.
  • Waterfires – but we are limited because we don’t have power at the lake or restrooms.
  • Frederick Symphony – they would love to play at the Lake but they would need a shelter. Parks and Rec are all for us doing something

H.  Treasurer’s Report:  Ms. Jackson had some questions. Management will forward those questions onto another Vanguard employee.

 

 

VI. OLD BUSINESS

 
  1. Intersection at W. Greenleaf and Rocky Springs: It will be opened. It won’t be for a while. The Board stated that a stop sign will then be needed. Condominiums will be built there and they will need access. Ausherman is still looking for someone to build the condominiums.
  2. Previous Lawsuit: It has been settled.
  3. Park Benches: The City doesn’t have the money for the park benches to be replaced. If the Association replaces the benches the City will install them. The Board discussed raising money for the park benches thru “Friends of Whittier Lake” much like the organization “Friends of Baker Park”. We would have to form a non-profit.

 

VII. NEW BUSINESS

 
  1. Lintini’s Restaurant: Lintini’s has had vandalism. The Owner of the restaurant may come to the February meeting.
  2. Parks & Rec: Park and Rec will be replacing the playground equipment at the Wetherburne playground. Park & Rec would like to fix the lake where there has been erosion but they do not have the money at this time. They are aware that some of the fountains are not working in the lake. They will be replacing some of the pathway from the shelter to the bridge.

 

VIII. ADJOURNMENT

 

There being no additional business for the Board to conduct at this time, the Board meeting adjourned at: 9:05pm. Motion: To adjourn the meeting. Fowler/Struntz Vote: Unanimous

 

Please note the next scheduled meeting is February 28, 2012 at 7:00PM.

 

 

Respectfully yours,

 

Shelly Henning
Recording Secretary