Skip to main content

Minutes

           
Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting Minutes

June 26, 2012

The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at the Somerford House, Frederick, Maryland on June 26, 2012 at 7:00 p.m.


Present

Bill Watt, President|
Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer
Jenny Marino, Secretary
Paul Zimnik, Director
Michael Brown, Director
Gary Wass, Director
Dave Fowler, Director

 

Absent

Eric Struntz, Vice President
Bill Ryan, Director

 

Others Present

NNancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative
Shelly Henning, Recording Secretary

 

 

I. CALL TO ORDER
 

Mr. Bill Watt, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 6:59pm with a quorum present.

 

II. MINUTES

 

The Board discussed the May 22, 2012 minutes. A Board member wanted the minutes to be changed to refer to George Long as Dr. George Long. There was some discussion on using name titles in the minutes. Motion: We accept the minutes. Zimnik/Fowler Vote: Unanimous

 

III. HOMEOWNER FORUM/SPECIAL GUESTS

 

There were no Homeowners present to address the Board.

 

IV. MANAGEMENT REPORT

 

A. Vista Landscape Easement:
A homeowner requested the Board allow him to make alterations to the landscaped bed that is on the outside of his fence. He would like to replace the tall grasses with some type of evergreen shrub that would require less maintenance. The Declaration of Easement for the Fence and Landscape Buffer for certain lots within Section 9R (Vistas) states that the Lot owner shall not remove, modify, damage or otherwise disturb the Landscape Improvements except for watering, pruning, mowing, or otherwise caring for the Landscape Improvements and make no alterations, improvement, excavation, grading or other material change to the Easement Area without prior written consent of the Association or the Declarations. It would appear that the Board can approve changes to the Landscape Improvements if they wish. The Board discussed that they would like the consistency and the beds should remain uniform. They discussed if the Association were to take responsibility for the bedding as a common area then they would then open themselves up to maintaining other properties too. There was a suggestion that the homeowners of that area get a bid from Classic to maintain it and then the homeowners split that cost. But the Association has to stay out of it. Motion: Move that we not take any action beyond our existing policy. Zimnik/Wass Vote: 5 for 1 abstain 1 oppose

B. Reserve Investment:
The Association’s Smith Barney General Reserve MM Account currently has a balance of $54,801.73 with a $40,000.00 CD maturing on 8/17/12. Management would recommend leaving $24,801.73 in the MM and transferring $70,000.00 into a 2017 CD to continue laddering the Association funds. Motion: Leave $24,801.73 in the MM and transferring $70,000.00 into a 2017 CD to continue laddering the Association funds. Zimnik/Brown Vote: Unanimous

C. Payment Plan Request/***********(*****):
The homeowner currently owes $651.50. She is requesting the Board allow her to make a payment of $325.75 by 6/30/12 and a payment of $325.75 by 7/31/12 to avoid further collection action. Motion: We approve her request according to this plan. Zimnik/Wass Vote: Unanimous

D. Pit Bull Legal Opinions:
Management obtained an opinion from the Association’s attorney as to what steps the Board should take to protect the Association in light of recent Court of Appeals ruling. Vanguard Management was not in complete agreement with the attorney and was waiting for a revised statement. The Board also wanted to know where the Insurance Company stood on this. Do we have enough coverage for liability in this? There is still confusion if the Association has liability for private property or just common area? Action: Management to check with the Attorney:

  • Common area vs. private property
  • What the Association would be responsible for.

Action: Management to check with the Insurance Company asking the insurance opinion is and coverage for this and to get back to the Board.

E. Lakeside Festival:
The Frederick City of Police are thrilled we are doing the National Night Out again. Dr. Zimnik and Mr. Wass agreed to work together thru email. The Board discussed they would like to use Famous Dave’s again. All the exhibitors are required to give their items away. The Board would like to have the boats come back and they are able to charge because they are selling a service. Mr. Wass was going to check if a stage would be possible and have entertainment. Motion: We authorize the $6,000 for the budget for this program. Zimnik/Fowler Vote: Unanimous

 

V. COMMITTEE REPORTS

 

A.  ACC: The guidelines have been dropped off. He had intended to highlight the changes. The Board would like the changes highlighted. In order to post them on the Web site they need it digitally.

B.  Pool Committee:

  1. Sold more outside memberships this season.
  2. The Board would like Management to get tabulation for how many attended the pools.
  3. A sign was posted in regard to the lift chairs and availability. There has been no request to use the chairs.

C.  Townhouse Committee: none

D.  Condo Committee: none

E. Landscaping Committee:none

F. Communication Committee: none

G. Social Committee: none

H.  Treasurer’s Report:  none

 

 

VI. OLD BUSINESS

 
  1. Blocked Road: The road is now open. It is a detour thru Whittier. The Board would like to see a stop sign at Independence and West Greenleaf. Management thought it would be a good time to contact the city and ask again. Action: Management to request from the city.
  2. Landscape Business: There is a problem with the Purple Plum Leaf tree, it has become a real mess. It needs to be cleaned up in the common areas or the trees need to be taken out. Donnalee from Classic is aware of the problem.
  3. Sidewalks at the lake: New sidewalks are being installed by the lake. It was also noted that the shed needs to be painted.
  4. Fountain at the lake: There was concern that the new fountain might be clogged. Management would check into it.

 

VII. NEW BUSINESS

 
  1. Tree trimming: A tree needs to be trimmed at the corner of Christopher’s Crossing and Greenleaf. The stop sign is not visible.
  2. Frederick Magazine: Frederick Magazine interviewed Mr. Watt and other Board member’s of other neighborhood Associations.

 

VIII. ADJOURNMENT

 

There being no additional business for the Board to conduct at this time, the board meeting adjourned at 9:00 p.m. Motion to adjourn the meeting at 9:00 p.m. Zimnik/Marino Vote 6/0/0

 

There being no additional business for the Board to conduct at this time, the Board meeting adjourned at: 8:30pm. Motion: To adjourn the meeting. Zimnik/Fowler Vote: Unanimous

 

Please note the next scheduled meeting is August 28, 2012 at 7:00PM.

 

Respectfully yours,

 

Shelly Henning
Recording Secretary