Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting Minutes

September 22, 2015

The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at the Somerford House, Frederick, Maryland on September 25, 2015 at 7:00 p.m.





Paul Zimnik, President Bill Ryan, Director
            Daniel Cowell, Vice-President Larry Hornstein, Director
            Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer
            Bill Watt, Director
            Nancy Sweet, Director
            Andrea Weaver, Director
            Roger Franks, Director





Bill Ryan, Director
            Larry Hornstein, Director



Others Present


David Latch, ACC
            David Geis, Account Manager, Classic Landscape
            Brett VanOrsdel, Classic Landscape
            Sue Miller, Homeowner
            Unnamed Homeowner
            Unnamed Homeowner
            Robin Martucci, Homeowner
            Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative
            Shelly Henning, Recording Secretary






Dr. Paul Zimnik, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:00pm with a quorum present.








The Board discussed the previous month, 2015 minutes and noted two changes to the minutes. Motion: To accept the minutes with 2 corrections. Jackson/Franks Vote: Unanimous








  2. Homeowner from Ridgeview 1: Her companion used the lounge chairs at the pool this past summer. He has pain but was able to sit in the lounge chair without the pain. They wanted to know if they could use a lounge thru the winter and they were willing to give a deposit check for the equipment. The Board was concerned about liabilities. The Board did not want to get involved in loaning the community equipment. Management will give the Homeowner information on the product and the vender. Motion: Move that we do not involve ourselves in loaning or the sale of any community equipment to individuals. Franks//Watt Vote: 7 For 1 Abstain.
  4. Graystone Lane: A Homeowner stated there are a lot of over grown shrubs, weeds, and trash cans that are left sitting out all the time at several homes on the street. Management has reported some of the homes to City Enforcement. City Enforcement will fine the homeowner if they do not correct the problem. Management will do a fall inspection.
  6. Multifamily Rental: A Homeowner was concerned about homeowners or renters renting part of the homes out. The Board discussed single family means single family. The homeowner could notify Code Enforcement then the City could enforce it.
  8. Condo homeowner: A homeowner wanted the condo owners to be aware that the garages that are for the condos have a separate tax from the condos. She stated that if the garage tax is not paid the garage can be sold by the by Frederick County in a tax sale. Some of the Condo owners did not realize the garages were separate properties. She also had an interest in joining the Board. Management was going send her information in order to get her on the Ballot for the Board.
  10. Unnamed Homeowner: The Homeowner stated he had received a letter from Management about his dogs barking. The Homeowner stated that he did not feel the dogs bark for long periods of time. Management has received written complaints from four to five neighbors. The Homeowner stated that his dog will bark when they see people but only bark for twenty minutes. The Board informed the Homeowner twenty minutes of barking was too long. He stated he has only had one neighbor complain in four years to him directly. The Board thanked him for being considerate enough for coming to the meeting.








  2. Turf Renovation Proposal-Emerson: A Homeowner had attended a previous Board meeting with concerns regarding the condition of the common area turf in and around Emerson Drive. Management had Classic inspect the area and submit recommendations for the turf renovations in this area. The first proposal was for $6,754.00; however, after Classic looked at area closer, the cost would be $11,915.00 with an additional $3,510.00 for watering. This is a high traffic area. The Board wanted more time look at this area and to consider what would be the best action if any to take.
  4. Handicap Chair Lift Covers: The Maryland State Inspector inspected all the pool handicap chair lifts on August 26th. They passed with no problems. The inspector notified Continental Pools that the handicap chair lifts must be installed on the pool decks at all times that the pools are open. In the past, the chair lifts were stored in the storage rooms available upon request. Since the chair lifts will need to be exposed on the pool decks the entire summer, it is recommended that covers be purchased for each of the chairs to protect the equipment. These covers are made by the manufacturer for the chairs. The Board discussed the benefit of using Continental over other providers. Motion: Based on our perspective of the relationship that the Community has with Continental we will have Continental purchase the covers. Franks/Watt Vote: 4 Yes 3 No
  6. ACC Committee Proposal – No Walk in Applicants: The ACC Committee is proposing that they no longer allow walk-in applicants starting in January 2016. The Benefits would be: 1) All the ACC to change the meeting date in a given month to ensure a quorum each month. 2) A pleasant atmosphere for the ACC volunteers as they will not be subject to homeowner consternation/abuse when the ACC rejects an application because the homeowner didn’t complete their packet per the guidelines. The ACC has been threatened. 3) Not spend time during the meeting to teach homeowners how to complete their packets. Management stated the meeting cannot be a closed meeting and will reference the law for the ACC Board. All applicants must be submitted through Vanguard.
                    Motion: The Board is directing that all of the ACC request must be submitted in writing per guidelines to Vanguard Management. Weaver/Watt Vote: Unanimous
                    Motion: The Board authorizes the ACC to discontinue walk in applications. Weaver/Watt Vote: Unanimous
                    Motion: The Board directs all of the subcommittee members not to engage in discussions with residents regarding disputes with subcommittee actions and redirect those residents to the Board. Watt/Weaver Vote: Unanimous
  8. 2015/2016 Audit Engagement Proposal: Goldklang Group accounting firm specializes in Community Association audits and taxes. Their charge to perform the Association’s audit and taxes has an increase of $100.00 from last year. This is a 2 year contract. Motion: Move that we accept the proposal. Sweet/Franks Vote: Unanimous
  10. ******: The Homeowner has offered a settlement of $601.00. The Board discussed the offer and decided to reject the offer. Motion: To reject the offer. Franks/Watt Vote: Unanimous                 









A.  ACC: none


B.  Pool Committee: none


C.  Townhouse Committee: none


D.  Condo Committee: none


E. Landscaping Committee: none


F. Communication Committee: none


G. Social Committee: Lakeside Festival – The Redemption City Church has been invited and they agreed to participate in the event. There will be 78 raffles.


H.  Treasurer’s Report:  none












  2. Trash can offenders: Some homes located at W. Greenleaf continue to be trash can offenders. Management will look into.








  2. No New Business was discussed.








There being no additional business for the Board to conduct at this time, the Board meeting adjourned at: 9:06pm. Motion: To adjourn the meeting. Jackson/Watt Vote: Unanimous:





Please note the next scheduled meeting is October 27, 2015 at 7:00PM.





Respectfully yours,




Shelly Henning
            Recording Secretary