Minutes

            

Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.

Regular Meeting Minutes

April 26, 2016

 

The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at the Somerford House, Frederick, Maryland on April 26, 2016 at 7:00 p.m.

 

Present:                                                                                                                                 Paul Zimnik, President                                                                                 

Daniel Cowell, Vice-President

Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer                                                                                  

Nancy Sweet, Director

Roger Franks, Director

Susan Miller, Director

 

Absent:

Andrea Weaver, Secretary

Bill Watt, Director                                                                             

Bill Ryan, Director

 

Others Present:

Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative

Shelly Henning, Recording Secretary

 

 

I.         CALL TO ORDER:

Dr. Paul Zimnik, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:01pm with a quorum present.

 

II.MINUTES:

The Board discussed the March 22, 2016 minutes.

Motion:  To accept the minutes.

Miller/Franks                             Vote:  Unanimous

 

                  

III.       HOMEOWNER & GUEST FORUM:

      There were no Homeowners present to address the Board.

 

 

IV.MANAGEMENT REPORT:

 

A.Watering Contract:

The annual flowers should be installed in mid-May.  The watering contract is for Classic to water the annuals and enhancements as necessary.  The charge is $50.00 per hour with a minimum of 1 hour occurrence.   Classic would only water when necessary.    The Board recognized the need for this but wanted more control over it.  The Board wanted to know how many times Classic watered last year.  Management would also check to see what the Association had spent to have Classic water in previous years.  Management would let the Board know by email.

 

B.Storm Water Management Pond Repair:

Tony Norwood, the Storm Water Coordinator with the City of Frederick, contacted Management with a list of items that need to be repaired at the storm water area located at Wetherburne Way and Whittier Drive.  Management acquired three quotes for the work:

Busy Service $3,450.00; John’s Labor Group $4,100.00; and Storm Water Management $4,357.50.  All of these companies have been used by Management and are good companies. 

Motion:  To approve Busy Service proposal.  

 Jackson/Franks                    Vote:  Unanimous 

 

C.Prentice Court Parking Spaces Striping and Numbering:

The stripes and numbers on the parking spaces at Prentice Court are very faded.  Homeowners have complained to Management that guests are parking in the reserved spaces because the numbers are illegible.  Management acquired 3 bids:  Gardener’s $937.00; Jet Services $1,404.00 and Knoble Inc. $1,750.00

Gardeners also recommended that the Wetherburn pool be done.  The cost would be an additional $454.00.  The Board discussed that Gardeners cost for both areas was less than what the other two companies were charging for just one area.

Motion:  That we approve the $1391.00 for Gardeners to complete the parking lot space and the pool.

Cowell/Jackson                                 Vote:  Unanimous             

 

D.Neighborhood Watch:

Mr. Franks stated that he has been doing research on starting a Neighborhood Watch.  Currently, there is only one Neighborhood Watch in the city limits.  It is proven to be a good community building tool.  Mr. Franks will attend the next NAC meeting.  Mr. Franks stated that he would probably start with the Townhomes.  The Board thanked him for all of his effort.                

 

E. Waiver Requests:

1. *****

The homeowner has requested the Board waive the $30.50 as she has stated she tried to mail her payment three times.   The Board stated that they never waive hard cost.

               Motion:  To waive the fee. 

               Cowell/Franks                   Vote:  1 Oppose 5 For

2. *****

The homeowner has requested the Board waive the $30.50 late fee due to his wife having surgery.  The Board stated that they never waive hard cost.

                Motion:  To waive the fee.

               Cowell/Franks                   Vote:  1 Oppose 5 For

           

 

  V.      COMMITTEE REPORTS:

A.  ACC:  none

B.  NAC Report:  none

C.  Pool Committee:  none

D.  Townhouse Committee:  none

E.  Condo Committee:  the trash corrals are being painted    

F.   Landscaping Committee: none

G.  Website Committee:  A Board Member asked if a link to the Web site     could be put on Facebook.  The Board stated that would be fine but that the           Web site could not tell homeowners to go to Facebook.  The Association    doesn’t have a Facebook site because they don’t have the manpower to run            it and there could be liability issues.   The Board discussed the Web site     Committee.  Dr. Zimnik stated that he did not hear back from those who had             previous interest in the Committee.  Dr. Zimnik stated the Board can post             information to the Web site.

H.Social Committee-Lakeside Festival:  Mr. Cowell stated that it took almost 2 months to get the park permit from the City.  He stated that it will probably not be as elaborate as last year’s event.  He asked that the Board email a list of vendors to him that they would like to see for the festival.     

                   I.  Treasurer’s Report:  Ms. Jackson, Treasurer, stated that she was not sure if                    she would be able to remain on the Board due to more demand from work.                    The Board and Management stated they did not want to lose her.

              

 

VI.    OLD BUSINESS:

A.Swim team:

The swim team – They will be forwarding a schedule for practices and swim meets.

 

VII.  NEW BUSINESS:

A.Kellerton new construction site might be using the wrong entrance.

B.Rocky Spring will be closed at some point.

C.What will the new water tower that will be going in look like?  Management will ask Ausherman.

D.The Board informed Management that there is a pot hole on Christopher’s Crossing before Whittier Drive.

E.Could the City put up a Duck crossing sign?  Management will ask.

 

VIII.    ADJOURNMENT:

                     There being no additional business for the Board to conduct at this time, the Board    meeting adjourned at: 8:26pm.

         Motion:  To adjourn the meeting. 

         Jackson/Miller                                                 Vote:  Unanimous 

 

 

Please note the next scheduled meeting is May 24, 2016 at 7:00PM.

 

 

Respectfully yours,

 

 

 

Shelly Henning

Recording Secretary