Skip to main content

Minutes

            

Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.

Regular Meeting Minutes

May 24, 2016

 

The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at the Somerford House, Frederick, Maryland on May 24, 2016 at 7:00 p.m.

 

 

Present:                                                                                                                                

Paul Zimnik, President                                                                                 

Daniel Cowell, Vice-President

Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer

Andrea Weaver, Secretary                                                                                     

Nancy Sweet, Director

Susan Miller, Director

 

Absent:

Bill Watt, Director                                                                             

Bill Ryan, Director

Roger Franks, Director

 

Others Present:

Mark Murr, Swim Team

Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative

Shelly Henning, Recording Secretary

15 Homeowners

 

I.         CALL TO ORDER:

Dr. Paul Zimnik, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:02pm with a quorum present.

 

II.MINUTES:

The Board discussed the April 26, 2016 minutes.

Motion:  To approve the minutes with one correction.

Cowell/Jackson                                       Vote:  Unanimous

 

                  

III.HOMEOWNER & GUEST FORUM:

A.A concern for the time trash is put out.

It was noted that some Homeowners have been putting trash out for collection by 9am the day before it is scheduled to be picked up.  A Board member will post a reminder on the web site of the correct times to put trash out for collection.  He will also include a reminder that the trash must be in the appropriate containers.

 

 

IV.MANAGEMENT REPORT:

A. Swimteam Concerns:

Several Homeowners came to the meeting in support of the Swimteam.  The Swimteam asked the Board to appeal the decision to charge the Swimteam $1,500.00 usage fee for the Greenleaf pool.  The Board explained when the pool was retiled; there was an additional $5,000.00 charge to have the tiled swim lanes re-added to the pool.  The Board knew the swim team would need the lanes and felt that if it weren’t for the swim team’s usage of the pool they would not have added the lanes back to the pool.  At the time the decision was made the Board was unaware that the Swimteam did not have the additional funds to help with the cost.  The Homeowner’s representing the swim team explained the cost that they have in running the swimteam and that this additional cost would bankrupt the Swim team.  They explained that the majority of the members of the swimteam are from the community and already pay their HOA fees.  The Board and the Swim team discussed ways to improve the relationship between the two.  The Board offered for the Swimteam to publish their own articles on the Community web site.  A Board member will link the Swim team web site to the Community web site.  Sue Murr and Heather Fulton offered to be on the Pool Committee and report back to the Board by email for the Homeowner’s meetings.   

Motion:  Reverse our decision and resend the $1500.00 charge to the Swimteam to use the pool for 2016.

Miller/Weaver                                   Vote: Unanimous

 

 

B.Pool Passes Withheld/Maintenance Issues:

When homeowner’s maintenance violations are noted during the spring re-inspections and they apply for pool passes, this triggers a final inspection prior to the release of the passes.  The community inspector inspected these homes and found the maintenance had not been completed.  These homeowners were notified in writing that they must either attend the May Board meeting or send a written explanation to the Board.

1.*****:

Homeowners have had health issues but have cleaned up the area of concern.  They asked the Board to reconsider issuing the pool passes.

Motion:  To release their pool passes.

Jackson/ Zimnik                Vote:  Unanimous

2.****:

The home has windows that need to have caulking replaced.  The Homeowner is working on getting the screens replaced.  The Homeowner is currently looking for someone to do the work.  The Homeowner stated he would get the work done.

Motion:  Management to send the pool passes once the             Homeowner corrects the concern and the Homeowner sends              proof that the work has been completed.      

              Sweet/Cowell                      Vote:  4 For 2 Oppose 

 

C.Reserve Study Update Proposal:

The Board tabled this discussion until the next meeting.

Tabled

          

D.Write-Off to Bad Debt ****:

This homeowner has declared Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and was granted discharge by the Court in 2013.  In December 2015, the home was foreclosed and has been transferred to a new owner.

Motion:   To write it off to bad debt.

Weaver/Jackson                                Vote: Unanimous        

 

E.ACC appeal Retractable Awning ****:

The Homeowners are asking for an exception to the ACC guidelines in regards to an awning for their back deck.  They have sun all day long and are unable to use their deck.  The awning they would like to purchase would be 10 feet in depth which would cover 75% of their deck.  The ACC guidelines only allow for 50% of the deck to be covered; under current ACC guidelines the awning could only be 6.5 feet and would not cover their table and chairs.  This is not a permanent structure and would only be used in the summer months.

Motion:  To approve the application for an awning. 

Cowell/Jackson                                 Vote:  5 for 1 Oppose 

 

 

  V.      COMMITTEE REPORTS:

A.  ACC:  none

B.  Pool Committee:

      Mark & Sue Murr and Heather Fulton agreed to report to the Board about             the pool.

C.  Townhouse Committee:  discussed a transfer of deed.

D.  Condo Committee: 

      Ridgeview is getting painted. 

E.   Landscaping Committee:

      Watering Contract – the contract had been discussed by the Board by email            and needed to be ratified.

      Motion:  Approve $500.00 as a limit, if additional watering is needed they will         need to obtain approval. 

      Miller/Weaver       Vote:  5 for 1 abstain

F.Website Committee: 

Dr. Zimnik asked if the Board happens to see something expired let him know.  He appreciates all feedback.

G.Lakeside Festival:

The time for the festival is from 12 to 4 this year.  Vendors will bring their own tables and chairs this year.  Three portable potties have been rented.  Mr. Cowell stated that he had a bid from Lakeside Pizzeria to do all the food for the Festival.  The Board was concerned if the Pizzeria could handle the demand from the large amount of people. The Pizzeria would be offering a 12” sub divided into 4 servings.  A Board member thought the subs were expensive at $8.50 a sub. The Board wondered if this would be enough food.  Mr. Cowell stated that he did not have enough time to look for another food vendor that he was expecting a baby any day and that if the Board chose not to go with this Vendor at this time he would have to resign from the committee.  He stated he did not want to use Famous Dave’s which is the company that has been used for the last several years.  The Board stated they wanted to sample what would be provided before making a commitment.  Mr. Cowell and Ms. Weaver resigned from the Lakeside Festival Committee.

H.Social Committee:  none

I.Treasurer’s Report:  none

J.NAC Report: 

Mr. Weaver gave the NAC Report.  He spoke about the new development that would be going in the area.  The schools would probably need portables.  There will be at least two water towers.  The building should be completed by 2018.  Mr. Weaver also gave the crime report.

 

VI.    OLD BUSINESS:

There was no old business discussed.

 

VII.  NEW BUSINESS:

1.  Removing A Board Member:

A Board Member stated that under the Bylaws for the Association if a Board Member is absent from three consecutive or more meetings that the Board has the power to remove the Board member.  She motioned to remove Mr. Ryan from the Board.  The President stated that the meeting had already gone over time and this would require a lengthy discussion and should not be a quick decision.  The President tabled the discussion until the next meeting.

Tabled

2.  Resignation from the Board:

            Mr. Cowell resigned from the Board.  He requested it officially appear in the         minutes as his resignation.

 

VIII.    ADJOURNMENT:

                     There being no additional business for the Board to conduct at this time, the Board    meeting adjourned at: 9:12pm.

         Motion:  To adjourn the meeting.

         Miller/Jackson                                                 Vote:   Unanimous

 

 

 

Please note the next scheduled meeting is June 28, 2016 at 7:00PM.

 

 

 

Respectfully yours,

 

 

 

Shelly Henning

Recording Secretary