Minutes

           
Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting Minutes
March 23, 2009

The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at the Somerford House, Frederick, Maryland on March 23, 2009 at 7:01 p.m.

Present

Bill Watt, President
Eric Struntz, Vice-President 
Gary Simon, Treasurer (arrived at 7:03pm)     
Jenny Marino, Director
William Lukens, Director
Erlene Moser, Director   
 

Others Present:
Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative
Shelly Henning, Recording Secretary
Jeremy Holder, Ausherman Development
Todd Cole & Bill Wells, Frederick Area Swim Team
David Geis, Classic Landscaping, Inc.
Homeowner’s Present:  nine (9) Lakeside Drive Residents

Absent

Paul Zimnik, Director
Michael Brown, Director
Josh Bokee, Director

        

 

                                                     

I. CALL TO ORDER:
Mr. Bill Watt, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:01pm with a quorum present.

II. MINUTES:

The Board discussed the February 23, 2009 minutes.
Motion: To approve the February minutes.
Struntz/Marino                        Vote:  Unanimous 
                 

III. HOMEOWNER FORUM:
 The Homeowners that were present were present for the Ausherman Landscape Request and left following that subject.

 

IV. MANAGEMENT REPORT:

A. Ausherman Landscape Request:

Mr. Holder showed the Board and the Homeowners the Ausherman’s landscaping proposal.  He mentioned that the Ausherman family wants to do this for privacy.  The plan includes planting evergreens that are already 12-14 feet tall and will grow over 30 feet tall.  If Mr. Ausherman did this on his property, he would have to put in trees that get much taller in order to have the same effect.  Mr. Holder said that Mr. Ausherman wants to be a good neighbor.  The Homeowner’s explained that they bought their homes for the view that they have and this would cause them to lose their view.  They stated that Ausherman Homes sold them on the view and now Mr. Ausherman was trying to take away that view.  The Homeowner’s don’t mind looking at the view of his home.   One homeowner asked if the Ausherman’s don’t like to look at the townhomes.  Mr. Holder again stated this is more about privacy.  The Homeowner’s concern was who’s view is more important.  The Homeowners thought that if the trees were further away from their property (on Mr. Ausherman’s property) they would have a more appealing affect.   Management suggested that the farm lands that are the view now will eventually be developed (at least 5 years out) and the homeowners then might want a screen.  And that it would be very costly for Whittier to do.  The Homeowners, Board, and Management were concerned who would pay for the maintenance of the landscaping.  Mr. Holder said that could be worked out.  Only one homeowner seemed to be for the landscaping and liked the idea of the windbreak.  It was mentioned that the winds that come thru there are pretty significant and concern of the trees coming down.  Mr. Holder thought they would like to start this spring but would more than likely wait until this fall.  One homeowner stated that he didn’t hear any reason why we (Whittier) would agree to this.  The Homeowner’s took a vote and the vote was unanimously against the landscaping.  The Board was concerned if they said no to Mr. Ausherman what Mr. Ausherman would then do for a screen.  The Board wanted to know what Mr. Ausherman’s plan B might be.  Is there a way we could get something out of this?  The Board was also noted the Homeowner’s strong concern to the landscaping.  The Board would like to take a look at the property area discussed.                     
            Motion:  That we table the discussion until next month.  
Struntz/Moser                                             Vote:  Unanimous           

B. Classic Landscape:

Mr. Geis, Classic Landscaping, gave an update on Classic.  Spring clean up has started.  Fertilizing has started.  Mr. Geis has been speaking with the school regarding herbicides.  The school has been asking what herbicides they plan on using and the Board cautioned that there may be a misunderstanding regarding herbicides, Mr. Geis is going to double check that.  Classic will be edging, mulching and pruning for the school.  The Board and management noted that the fence lines looks 100% better.  The Board discussed with Mr. Geis about an extra pruning for the shrubs in the community.  The Board would like to see it done the end of May then June or July or Ms. Marino wouldn’t mind calling when she thought it needed to be done.  Mr. Geis was open to that.  He would also like to drive around in the community in May with a Board member to discuss property.  He also noted that the Community Inspector has been helpful to Classic.

C. Spring Opening Pool Repairs:

The Board discussed the pool repairs.
Motion:  To approve the pool repairs as suggested. 

Struntz/Lukens                                    Vote:   Unanimous

D. Whittier Swim Team Request:

The Board discussed the request.
Motion:  Move that we grant their request.
Lukens/Simon                                    Vote:  Unanimous                                                                      

E. Frederick Area Swim Team (FAST)

Mr. Cole and Mr. Wells made a presentation asking that Whittier consider FAST using a pool (preferable Greenleaf) throughout the year.  They would need to put a bubble over it in the winter time costing from $200,000. - $300,000.00.  They would like to do it where it doesn’t cost the community anything and the community benefits from it.  There are many options of how to pay for the bubble and manage the facility; from FAST paying for, and renting back to Whittier; Whittier paying for and renting to FAST.  Other revenue could be brought in also for the development from the rental of the pool in the winter months.  FAST typically wants 20 hours per week in the fall, winter and spring and 20 hours per week in the summer.  The bubble would be stored in the summer months in a pod or storage unit.  The pool would need to be heated.  The life expectancy of the bubble is 15 years and for 10% more you can get a bubble that has a life expectancy of 25 years.  Operating cost of the dome is about $40,000.00 per year.  The Board and management were concerned in the summer months of the pool’s availability to the homeowners.  The Board mentioned maybe Whittier could control for 3 months and FAST could run for the other 9 months.  There are several options to look into.   The Board thought they should speak with Heather Fulton regarding this.
Motion:  That management gets back to the guest here tonight and that we are interested in doing the site survey and that the cost be incurred by FAST for the survey.
Struntz/Simon                                    Vote:  Unanimous 

F. Whittier Lake Maintenance: 

The City hasn’t given their final approval yet.  Management is dialoging daily with the city.  The Board asked, if the city isn’t interested in paying for the maintenance and operating cost of the system are we willing to pay for it?  The Board asked that Management find out what the latest date would be to install the unit.
Action:  Management to call Bill Kirkpatrick with Aquatic Environmental Consultants to find out the latest date to install
Action:  Management to contact the Board and let them know what is happening.

G. Operating Account:

There is almost $400,000.00 in the operating checking account.  This is over the FDIC limit of $250,000.00.  It was recommended that the Board open a Smith Barney MM Operating Account and invest some of the funds into short term CD’s.  Management suggested that $199,000.00 be left in the operating checking account and $200,000.00 can be invested in short term CD’s
having $50,000.00 mature every 3 months.  As the funds mature they can be transferred to the checking account.
Motion:  We follow the suggestion in the management report and create a Smith Barney operating account with ladder of CD’s.
Simon/Lukens                                    Vote:  Unanimous

H. Reserve Investments

The Association’s Smith Barney Reserve Account has a $10,000.00 CD that matured on 2/27/09 and a $25,000.00 CD that matured on 3/17/09.  With these CD’s maturing, the current balance in the reserve money market will be $65,000.00.  As the pool season is fast approaching, it is recommended to keep $30,000.00 in the Reserve MM for pool repairs, furniture, etc.  This would leave $35,000.00 that could be invested into CD’s.  To continue the investment ladder, these funds should be invested into CD’s that will mature in 2014.
Motion:  Move to accept management’s proposal.
Simon Moser                                    Vote:  Unanimous

                                   
           

  V.      COMMITTEE REPORTS:
A.  ACC:  none
B.  Pool Committee: 
The Board discussed the proposal from Vanguard for the upcoming year for pool assessments.  They discussed pulling back on trash can violations and property disrepair issues.  If there is property disrepair issues - to hold pool passes until it is rectified.  Faded paint is hard to determine.  If someone leaves trash cans out – not to withhold pool passes
Motion:  That we accept Vanguard’s proposal for the upcoming year for pool assessment with 2 modifications.  1) Ms. Marino’s typo modifications.  2) Vanguard no longer withhold pool passes for trash/recycling can violations and unmowed lawn care.
Struntz/Simon                  Vote:  Unanimous
C.  Townhouse Committee:  none
D. Condo Committee:  Any thought to giving money to Condo committees since we are giving money to the city and the school?  We are 1/3 of the community.  Other Board members noted that the Condo’s have the ability to raise money for projects.           
E. Landscaping Committee:
F. Communications Committee: 
G. Social Committee:  
H.  Treasurer’s Report:  none

 

VI.     OLD BUSINESS:
    There was no old business discussed.

VII. NEW BUSINESS:

      See Frederick Area Swim Team

 

VIII.    ADJOURNMENT:
                     There being no additional business for the Board to conduct at this time, the Board meeting adjourned at 9:05pm.
         Motion:  To adjourn the meeting.
        Simon/Moser                                           Vote:  Unanimous

 

Please note the next scheduled meeting is April 27, 2009 at 7:00PM.

 

 

Respectfully yours,

 

Shelly Henning
Recording Secretary