Minutes

Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.

Regular Meeting Minutes

April 26, 2022

 

The Board of Directors of the Whittier Community Association met via Zoom video call on April 26, 2022, at 7:00 p.m.

 

 

Present:

Paul Zimnik, President

Andrea Weaver, Vice President

Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer

Laura Ferguson, Secretary

Royle Kidwell, Director

Nancy Sweet, Director

Jackie Parks, Director

 

Absent:

Ronnie Lushbaugh, Director

Melissa Lentz, Director

 

 

 

Others Present:

7 Homeowners

Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative

Renee Bilinski, Recording Secretary

 

  1. CALL TO ORDER:

Paul Zimnik, President of Whittier Community HOA, called the regular meeting to order at 7:01 p.m. with a quorum present.

 

  1. REGULAR MINUTES: The Board discussed the January 25, 2022 Minutes as presented and had a few edits. The Board discussed the March 22, 2022 Minutes as presented and had a few edits. The President noted that edits should be refrained to grammatical and if any content is incorrect. The minutes should not be inclusive of all opinions shared but a summary of key points and the motions and actions made.

 

Motion: To approve the January Minutes with the provided edits.

Weaver/Ferguson                                                                             Vote 6/1/0

           

Motion: To approve the March Minutes with the provided edits.

Sweet/Weaver                                                                                    Vote 6/1/0

 

  1. HOMEOWNER & GUEST FORUM:
  1. Board Meetings Format: The Homeowner who requested that the Board consider holding the board meetings in person or provide visual access to Homeowners during the last meeting asked why the topic had not been discussed and decided in the last meeting. They noted again that they would like to at least be able to visually see the Board Members who are agreeing or disagreeing with motions. The Board shared that although they did not discuss it during the last meeting, they had researched in-person location options since. All those locations are not open for use at this time. The meetings will likely still need to be held via Zoom for a few more months. The Board said they would discuss looking into opening up the meetings in the future to allow Homeowners to join via video.

 

  1. MANAGEMENT REPORT:
  1. Pool Internet Installation: The Pool Pass information was mailed to all Homeowners on April 19, 2022. This information will also be posted on the website. The Board approved by email to have Comcast Business install internet at the three (3) pools. Hopefully, the construction and installation can be completed prior to the pools opening. It may be a few weeks later, in which case the hot spot devices would be used again until internet is connected. Management said that once they were installed Comcast said they could lower the costs to a seasonal cost, but they couldn’t provide that agreement prior to installation. There was discussion about making internet access limited to just the use of the tablets.

 

Motion: To ratify the email approval to have Comcast Business install internet at the three pool houses.

Weaver/Kidwell                                                                          Vote 7/0/0

 

  1. Greenleaf Underwater LED Light Replacement: As the Board approved in March, Continental Pools has been performing the required repairs and preparing the pools for spring opening. Unfortunately, a glass bottle was thrown on the pool deck and the Wetherburne Pool had to be drained and cleaned. In addition, it was recently discovered that an underwater LED light is not working at Greenleaf. There was a proposal provided for the Board’s review. The proposal is to replace the light for $1,100.00. This cost would be considered a Reserve expense. These LED lights were all replaced in 2011. One light was replaced in 2016 and another was replaced in 2017. Management reminded the Board that the Health Inspector will not allow use of the pools after dusk if there are not lights. The Board discussed the timers for the lights and resetting them to better align with time of use, so they are not left on in the middle of the night or during daylight. The Board discussed having solar lights installed for the overhead lights to save electricity. There was also a discussion about potentially installing security cameras at the pools to avoid further break ins.

 

Motion: To approve the proposal from Continental Pools to replace the LED pool light at Greenleaf to be paid from Reserves.

Jackson/Weaver                                                                          Vote 7/0/0

 

Action: Management will ask Continental Pools to set the timers for the pools to better align with the need for lighting.

 

  1. Water Fitness Class at Wetherburne: Elizabeth Toms has reached out to the Board regarding teaching water fitness at the Wetherburne Pool again this year. She would like to have at least one class per week, and if there is enough interest, possibly add another. The Board discussed how well the class went last season and how well received it was by the Residents.

 

Motion: To approve Ms. Toms teaching water fitness at the Wetherburne Pool this year.

Jackson/Kidwell                                                                          Vote 7/0/0

 

  1. Whittier Riptide Schedule & Advertisement Banners: The Whittier Riptides swim practice and meet schedule were provided for the Board’s review. They have also asked for permission to place banners in the community regarding registration. The City will not allow this type of advertising in the right of way along the streets, but they could possibly be placed in the HOA common area at the pools. The Board discussed how they have posted event banners in other locations that were successful and may be better than right at the pools. A Board Member noted that there are already signs posted throughout the community for the swim team. The Board decided that they did not need to make a motion to approve since there are already signs posted in the community.

 

  1. Robotic Pool Cleaner (Whittier Riptide Request): The Whittier Riptides requested a robotic pool cleaner for the Greenleaf pool to help clean out leaves that feel overnight and are in the pool during their morning use. They provided a pool cleaner they found advertised. Management reached out to Continental Pools, and they noted that that was not a commercial cleaner. They do not use robotic cleaners and researched what type would be best for a pool the size of Greenleaf. They provided a suggested commercial robotic cleaner which is priced at $3,500.00.

 

The Board discussed the request and pricing for the cleaners. Some Board Members voiced concern about purchasing something so expensive and leaving it out overnight. With the recent alcohol bottle being broken at the pool and a general concern of theft of such an expensive item, there was concern about it potentially attracting more issues. A Board Member asked if it would be able to clean glass if something like that were to happen again. A robotic cleaner would be damaged by the glass shards, and the only way to guarantee the glass was cleaned is to drain and manually climb in and vacuum. The Board decided that they would not make a motion but asked Management to ask for more details from Continental Pools on robotic cleaners. They wanted to know why they don’t use them, what would be the benefits and anything else they should take into consideration.

 

Action: Management will ask Continental Pools for more details about pool cleaners to email to the Board.

 

  1. Shred Event: A Board Member would like to plan a Shred Event for the Community. The information from All-Shred Inc. was provided for the Board’s review. The Board discussed that this was a possible way that they could provide a nice service to the community. The company is already booking out into 2023, so it could be made as a decision to add into the budget for next year. The cost is $800.00 per truck if they have three trucks at each of the pools, totaling $2,400.00. The Board discussed if it would be a service that would attract enough use that they had three trucks worth of shredding. If they wanted to do just one truck and see how well it goes the Board Member will need to go back to All-Shred Inc. to ask about the price for one truck. They discussed having a limit to quantity per household to help ensure those who were interested would be able to use the service. The company does provide a Certificate of Destruction that would be distributed to those who utilized the service. Another Board Member asked if All-Shred Inc, required a deposit in order to reserve the service in the future. The Board asked the Homeowner interest of those on the call and there was 1 of 6 that raised their hand via Zoom. The Board also discussed posing the question out to the community to ask if there was interest to assess how many trucks may be needed.

 

Action: The Board Member will ask for the cost of just one truck and find out if there is a deposit required.

 

  1. OLD BUSINESS:
  1. Cattail Status Update: A Board Member asked for the status of the cattail removal. Management has not received a scheduled date but will ask for the schedule.

 

Action: Management will ask for a schedule for the cattail removal.

 

  1. Storm Water Management: The President walked around the community with the Homeowner, Jamie Parks, who created the presentation on the storm water system concerns they see throughout the community. The President noted that they believe that many of these concerns are valid and should be reviewed by the Board. They mentioned some of the big areas of concern that were presented, where there is accumulated debris and blockage. Some of these areas are Association-owned property. There was discussion on the original functions of the areas of concern, how they serve the storm water systems, and how they may need to be reevaluated with changes from new developments. The President noted that it was important to ensure they are ready to handle any catastrophic events that would affect the community and the downtown Frederick areas.

 

The President noted that this was an area of concern that requires some more immediate action and long-term considerations and planning. There is a need for research and further development in this area for the Board to take appropriate actions. The President is recommending that the Board approve a committee that focuses on this area be added. As any other committee, it would discuss the concerns in depth, conduct the needed research, collect information, and then pass that along to the Board for action. It would not have authority to act on its own, like any other committee. The value of forming a separate committee is to dedicate the time needed to this topic so that it does not dominate nor be limited by other topics needing to be discussed during other committees or the Board meetings. The President would like to motion forming a committee for the storm water systems.

 

Motion: To approve the creation of the Storm Water Management Committee.

Zimnik/Parks                                                                              Vote 7/0/0

 

  1. NEW BUSINESS:
  1. Community Yard Sale: A Board Member noted that there would not be a meeting between now and the typical Community Yard Sale weekend, the second weekend in June. The Board usually motions to authorize the Community Yard Sale and begins planning for the event. This year, the dates would be from June 11th – 12th.

 

Motion: To authorize the Community Yard Sale event on June 11th and 12th.

Jackson/Kidwell                                                                          Vote 7/0/0

 

  1. Electric Car Charger: A Homeowner is interested in having an electric car charging station in their designated parking spot on Carrington Way. Management explained that there was a bill passed in Maryland in October 2021 that unreasonably restricts the installation of car charging stations in a designated parking station. As it is the first request of this type, Management suggests that the Board have the lawyer develop an Installation, Maintenance, and Licensing Agreement for the Board’s review and use when these types of requests are received. A Board Member asked if the Homeowner was responsible for the installation costs and if the electric ran from their home. Management clarified that the Homeowner would be responsible for the installation, and it would be run from their home.

 

Action: Management will ask the attorney to develop an Installation, Maintenance, and Licensing Agreement for the Board’s review.

 

  1. Recording Minutes Rate Increase: The Recording Secretary requested an increase in their meeting minute recording rates. Currently, the rates are $130.00 per meeting (for the first 2 hours), and $35.00 for each subsequent 30 minutes or any part thereof. They proposed an increase to $160.00 per meeting (for the first 2 hours) and $40.00 for each subsequent 30 minutes or any part thereof. This would be a total increase of $210.00 a year for the 7 scheduled meetings (not including subsequent time fees). There has been no increase in rates since prior to 2017. The Board discussed the request.

 

Motion: To approve the increase in the meeting minute recording rates as proposed by the Recording Secretary.

Weaver/Sweet                                                                              Vote 6/1/0

 

  1. Tree Stump & Metal Removals: A Board Member asked if Ruppert often leaves stumps after cutting down trees. Someone noted that they think a lot of the stumps were left by the company prior to Ruppert. Management explained that it depends on how the Board motioned in the past. Rupert provides proposals with both solutions of removing the stump and grinding it down. Sometimes the Board has motioned to fully remove the stump. The Board asked if Management could have Ruppert survey the stumps in the community, especially those in the middle of the Townhome common areas and provide a proposal for removal.

 

The Board Member also noted that there is a metal bar sticking up about 12 to 14 inches from the ground out by the Springhouse. They are concerned that children may hurt themselves on it during the sledding season. It is by the manhole cover.

 

Action: Management will ask Ruppert to survey the stumps in the community, especially those in the middle of the Townhome common areas and provide a proposal for removal. They will ask a contractor to remove the metal bar by the Springhouse as well.

 

  1. COMMITTEE REPORTS:
  1. ACC Committee: Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, the ACC Committee has been reviewing and approving applications by email. Nothing requiring the Board’s review at this time.

 

  1. Pool Committee:
    1. Pool Flowerpots: The Committee needs approval for purchasing the soil and flowers for the pool flower pots again this year. They said that it should not be more than $300.00 total.

 

Motion: To authorize up to $300.00 for materials for the pool flower pots.

Kidwell/Jackson                                                              Vote 7/0/0

 

    1. Pool Furniture: The Committee notes that the new furniture should be arriving within the next 3-4 weeks, they are waiting for confirmation of exact dates. They will need volunteers to help move old furniture to the baby pool area and the new furniture into the storage area. The Board discussed options for selling the old furniture. It would be too late in the season to sell at the Community Yard Sale since they need it to be gone before the opening. A Board Member suggested working with a local auctioneer. They mentioned that they may come and pick it up. When they sell it, they keep a percentage and then they would receive a percentage. Someone asked what would happen if they did not sell the items and if they would be able to be flexible with pick up dates and even come on the day the new furniture arrives. The Board Member will reach out to the local auctioneers and see what their options would be. The Committee will go tomorrow and take inventory on the old furniture and take some photos to provide to the auctioneers.

 

Action: Board Member will reach out to auctioneers in the area to see what options there are to auction off the pool furniture.

 

  1. Townhouse Committee:
    1. Pool Hours: During their open forum, Homeowners asked if the Committee could present their request that Wetherburne pool could also be opened Labor Day weekend to the Board. If that were not possible, they asked if the dates could alternate between the two pools if they could not both be opened early every year.

 

    1. Tree Maintenance: The Committee wanted to note some concerns raised that Ruppert trims the trees and then the City come in shortly after and does as well. Management explained that those are common areas for the Association and should be trimmed by the Association. They also explained that sometimes due to traffic visibility around easements, and if they got a Homeowner complaint, the City would sometimes come in and trim back the area. The Committee also asked if trees are removed if there are plans for replacing them. The Board explained that sometimes Ruppert will suggest not replacing the tress if it is healthier for the existing trees to have room for growth, to avoid overcrowding. Sometimes the Board replaces the trees and other times they make the motion to just remove them.

 

    1. Dog Park: The Committee wanted to raise the idea of a dog park to the Board. They looked at an area that may be a City owned area, but they believe it would be a great area for a dog park. The Board explained that this idea has been raised to the Board before and they have looked into it. They since heard that the new community being developed will have a dog park built and have walking paths between the townhome areas that would lead into the new community around that area. The Board Member asked if the Board should consider having their own dog park as well. Management offered to reach out to the City Parks and Recreation Department head and ask about the process of requesting a dog park, if there are any impacts on having them too close to one another, and what other considerations would impact having a dog park in that area.

 

Action: Management will reach out to the City Parks and Recreation Department and ask about the process and considerations of a dog park.

 

  1. Condo Committee: No updates at this time.

 

  1. Landscape Committee: No updates at this time.

 

  1. Social Committee:
    1. Bicycle Parade: The Committee mentioned the bicycle parade event and the fact that the one who typically runs the event can’t do it this year. They would like to run this event and have authorization from the Board for money for some prize materials. They have some items but need some additional small prizes to hand out. They plan to not allow any on the road this year. They plan to utilize the lake sidewalks, using the inner and outer loops for the different ages. They asked if they still needed approval from the City. Management suggested that they reach out to verify just in case. They event will be on July 2nd. They said that they need volunteers in order to run the event, to help monitor the shopping center entrance area for safety.

 

Action: The Committee will ask the City if they need approval or have any regulations for the event.

 

Action: Management will send an e-blast email out to ask for volunteers.

 

Motion: To authorize up to $200.00 for the bicycle parade event materials.

Jackson/Sweet                                                                 Vote 7/0/0

 

  1. Treasurer’s Report: The Board reviewed the financial reports.

 

  1. ADJOURNMENT: There being no additional business for the Board to conduct, the meeting adjourned at 8:53 p.m.

 

Motion: To adjourn the regular meeting at 8:53 p.m.

Jackson/Sweet                                                                                   Vote: 7/0/0

 

Please note the next scheduled meeting is to be held on Tuesday, June 28, 2022, at 7:00 pm via Zoom video call due to COVID-19 restrictions.

 

Respectfully,

 

Renee Bilinski

Recording Secretary