Minutes

Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.

Regular Meeting Minutes

November 23, 2021

 

The Board of Directors of the Whittier Community Association met via Zoom video call on November 23, 2021, at 7:00 p.m.

 

Present:

Paul Zimnik, President

Andrea Weaver, Vice President

Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer

Laura Ferguson, Secretary

Roger Franks, Director

Royle Kidwell, Director

Ronnie Lushbaugh, Director

Nancy Sweet, Director

 

Absent: 

Michael Brown, Director

 

 

 

Others Present:

16 Homeowners

Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative

Renee Bilinski, Recording Secretary

 

  1. CALL TO ORDER:

Paul Zimnik, President of Whittier Community HOA, called the regular meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. with a quorum present.

 

  1. REGULAR MINUTES: The Board discussed the October 26, 2021, minutes as presented and had a few edits.

 

            Motion: To approve the October 26, 2021 Minutes with the provided edits.

Weaver/Ferguson                                                                             Vote: 7/0/1

 

  1. ANNUAL MEETING: The 2021 annual meeting and election was not held at this time. It is necessary to reach a quorum of ten percent (10%) of all homes or 159 Homeowners being present in-person or by proxy. Due to the virtual meeting format, the voting will only be completed by email or mail. There have only been 108 proxies and 16 Homeowners present on the call (several who already submitted their proxies).

 

There are five (5) candidates for the four (4) Director positions up for election this year. Under Maryland law (§5-206, Corporations & Associations Article), with correct notice, a meeting may be rescheduled and those present will constitute a quorum for the purpose of holding the election. The meeting will be rescheduled for January 25th and the members present in-person or by proxy at that time will constitute as a quorum.

 

 

  1. HOMEOWNER & GUEST FORUM:
  1. Condo: A Homeowner, Treasurer of Ridgeview Condos Committee, had a question regarding the responsibility of snow removal and mowing of the sidewalk area along the condos. Management explained that Ridgeview Condos is responsible for the property from the condos to the curb. They asked if the Whittier Community Association cleared around other condominium complexes. Those are also cleared by the condominium complexes as well.

 

  1. Parking Lot Repainting: A Homeowner asked about the townhome parking spaces being repainted along with the numbers. It was explained that they are usually done section by section every 4-5 years and if their section looks like it really needs to be repainted, then it probably is next in the rotation. The Homeowner said it was the area behind Wetherburne Pool. Management believes that is the next section to be repainted in the spring. The Homeowner mentioned sometimes it can be a problem when some of the spots are preoccupied when they come out to paint. Management clarified that the contractors would come back several times if they were not able to paint certain spots.

 

  1. Townhomes Petition - Continued Questions: A Homeowner wanted to make sure that their questions in the petition will be answered and addressed. The Board reminded the Homeowner that the questions posed in the original petition, and all subsequent follow up questions to date, have been answered to the best ability of Management and the Board. The Board also explained that continuing to reword the same questions would not result in a different answer. There have been various multi-paged follow ups, rewording the original questions posed to Management, who has diligently and sufficiently answered them.

 

The Board wanted to ensure the Homeowner understood that whether the answer was to their preference, the Association has determined that there is no need to continue to answer their questions since they have already sufficiently answered. Homeowners are more than welcomed to come to the Board meetings and ask specific questions during the Homeowner Open Forum time, within the 5-minute limit per Homeowner. The Board also wanted the Homeowner to understand that continuing to ask the same questions, even if worded differently, after being answered multiple times, would be considered harassment and the Association will not respond nor have Management continue to respond.

 

  1. MANAGEMENT REPORT:
  1. Reserve Investment Update: The account record was provided for the Board’s review. The Morgan Stanley MM Reserve Account has $119,491.79 with three (3) CD’s totaling $170,000.00 that will mature in December. Management would recommend investing $50,000.00 into a 2024 CD, $50,000.00 into a 2025 CD to continue to ladder the funds.

 

Motion: Approve the recommended investment of $50,000.00 into a 2024 CD, and $50,000.00 into a 2025 CD to continue to ladder the funds.

Jackson/Weaver                                                                          Vote 8/0/0

 

  1. Deferred Assessment Resolution: Goldklang Group annually provides their recommendation for tax purposes, that the Board pass a deferred assessment resolution. This resolution simply means that the Association will plan to use any surplus earned this year during the following year.

 

Motion: The Association elects to apply all of part of the excess assessment income to the following year’s assessments and that such a final amount shall be at the Board’s discretion.

Franks/Sweet                                                                               Vote 8/0/0

 

  1. OLD BUSINESS:
  1. Donation Discussion: At the last meeting, there was a discussion around Ruppert offering to donate to the football team that had originally requested a donation from the Association. The Board wanted to take this time to reiterate that there are some projects that are not within the scope of the Association’s ability to decide, such as donating to local causes or charities. Whereas landscaping is an area that the Association can and does make decisions around for the betterment of the community. The Board has been diligent to ensure they are staying within their scope, honoring the budgets intentional use of funds, and focusing on the areas in which they can provide for the community.

 

  1. NEW BUSINESS: No new business.

 

  1. COMMITTEE REPORTS:
  1. ACC Committee: Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, the ACC Committee has been reviewing and approving applications by email. No current appeals.
  2. Pool Committee: Replastering project is coming along quickly and should be finished soon. Other repairs should be wrapping up soon as well. Pool furniture should arrive this spring, and furniture purchases should be done. The old furniture can be sold prior to the start of season, once the new furniture arrives.
  3. Townhouse Committee:
    1. There were some questions around the drainage area in the townhomes and the pond discussed in previous meetings. Management explained the storm water management facilities are mowed and the catch basins are in the townhome parking lots, they are two separate areas and points of discussion. The storm water facilities are adjacent to the construction zone. The Storm Water Superintendent was the one that explained that process and the need to wait for the construction to end prior to removing the sediment.
    2. An update regarding the burned townhomes: The contractor is slowly working on the end unit. Homeowner insurance policy coverage is well under what it will cost. A Board Member wanted to note for reference to Townhome Homeowners that replacement coverage covers beyond that what the regular homeowner insurance policy will cover. Another Homeowner advised that it is good practice to keep an updated list and pictures of belongings.
  4. Condo Committee: No updates at this time.
  5. Landscape Committee: Provide some update on the current projects, noting they are coming along well.
  6. Social/Lakeside Festival Committee:
    1. Thanks to all those who volunteered at the craft festival!
    2. There have been some conversations with the PTO about a bizarre with the school.
    3. The Committee is looking into some options for spring events. They are considering an egg hunt by the lake, a 4th of July parade around the lake, etc.
    4. The Committee asked if there was a way to have a credit card or limited debit card available for the Committee to secure vendors for events. There were some complications with relying on personal credit cards to secure the contracts and put down deposits. The Board discussed if there would be some virtual payment options like Venmo or PayPal that could also be utilized to avoid losing contracts with vendors. Management did not that the Accountants and Auditors do not like to use credit cards for purchases, and they will have to figure out if there are some alternative options.

 

Action: Management will ask the Accountants and Auditors what type of options would be available to accommodate having a faster and easier way to pay vendors.

 

  1. Treasurer’s Report: The Board reviewed the financial reports.

 

  1. ADJOURNMENT: There being no additional business for the Board to conduct, the meeting adjourned at 7:49 p.m.

 

Motion: To adjourn the regular meeting at 7:49 p.m.

Sweet/Ferguson                                                                                 Vote: 8/0/0

 

Please note the next scheduled meeting is to be held on Tuesday, January 25, 2022, at 7:00 pm via Zoom video call due to COVID-19 restrictions.

 

Respectfully,

 

Renee Bilinski

Recording Secretary