Minutes

Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.

Regular Meeting Minutes

August 25, 2020

 

The Board of Directors of the Whittier Community Association met via Zoom video call on August 25, 2020, at 7:00 p.m.

 

Present:                                                                                                                     

Paul Zimnik, President

Royle Kidwell, Vice President                      

Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer

Ronnie Lushbaugh, Secretary

Laura Ferguson, Director

Nancy Sweet, Director

Michael Brown, Director

Andrea Weaver, Director

Roger Franks, Director

 

Absent: N/A

 

Others Present:

7 Homeowners

Tim Pelletier, Continental Pools Representative

Dejan Milenkov, Continental Pools Representative

Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative

Renee Henning, Recording Secretary

 

  1. CALL TO ORDER:

Royle Kidwell, Vice President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:03 p.m. with a quorum present.

Kidwell/Weaver                                                        Vote: 7/0/0

 

  1. REGULAR MINUTES: The Board discussed the June 23, 2020 minutes as presented. The Board moved to accept the minutes as presented.  

 

            Motion:  To approve the June 23, 2020 minutes as presented.

Ferguson/Weaver                                                     Vote: 7/0/0

 

  1. HOMEOWNER & GUEST FORUM: No concerns or comments provided.

 

  1. MANAGEMENT REPORT:
  1. Fall Pool Repairs: Continental Pools inspected each of the three (3) pools for any necessary pool repairs needed this fall. Wetherburne and Greenleaf pools are in good shape and only require a minor skimmer pad repair. It is recommended to strip the plaster and install a new white coat surface at the Cobblestone pool. It has been eight (8) years since the last white coat was installed. The striping of all plaster is recommended after every 3-4 white coats. This has never been done at the Cobblestone pool and the white coat has been replastered at least 4 times. With all of the extensive work that has been done on the pool lines in the past two (2) years this can affect the condition of the current surface thus the longevity of the new white coat, which is why it would be highly recommended to strip the plaster surface at this time. If approved, the cost would be paid from Reserve Funds. The total cost is $109,300.00 for all repairs at Cobblestone. The total cost for Wetherburne repairs and maintenance is $6,970.00. The total for Greenleaf repairs would be $6,300.00.

 

Continental Pools explained that stripping does not expose pluming to see if there are any leaks that would need repairs. They would like to ideally do the work during the Fall, starting in the first two weeks of September, given there are no issues or other concerns prior to beginning. There is a 10% discount for completing the work in the Fall. Greenleaf would need the plaster replaced in 2023 or 2024, and the next stripping would be in 2030. Wetherburne would be in 2022 or 2023.  When asked if the work was necessary, Continental Pools explained that the plaster does need to be replaced about every 8 years. If it wasn’t done, and they did a resurfacing again, the layers will start to delaminate and fail, and any additional layers of plaster will fail later on as well. Every 3 layers of plaster should be stripped and replastered.

 

The quote did include the equipment improvement that has been mentioned in previous years. It is not a requirement, but it would be good to have. The cost is $6,300 per pool to update that equipment. The Board discussed that there may be benefits to adding the new equipment since it is already a year of bigger work being done and has been unused during the season due to pandemic closure. Some Board Members expressed that they thought it could a few more years before they installed the equipment, when it becomes something that is required.

 

Motion: To approve the proposal for Cobblestone, work as stated not including the controllers. To be paid from Reserve Funds.

Franks/Weaver                                                   Vote 7/2/0

 

Motion: To approve the proposal for Wetherburne, work as stated not including the controllers. To be paid from Reserve Funds.

Kidwell/Weaver                                                  Vote 9/0/0

 

  1. Dead Tree Removal/Replacement: Landscape Committee Liaison, Andrea Weaver, and Ruppert Area Manager, Mike Miller, have developed a list of dead common area trees that need to be removed and replaced. There are eight dead trees in the townhouse neighborhood that need to be removed, costing $2,950.00. The dead white pines along Christopher Crossing will cost $300.00 for removal. Replacement of three trees in the townhouse neighborhood will cost $1,700.00. And replacement of the large white pines with three cherry trees would cost $1,500.00.  

 

The Board discussed using 3 of the 10 trees Ausherman is providing to plant the 3 cherry trees. It would reduce the cost, but they may not want to plant a few trees here or there and not all at once. Management can coordinate with Ausherman to determine if that is an option. Landscape Committee can also go around and look for additional areas for the other 7 trees if it needs to be done at the same time. They are looking at a timeline of September 7th to complete.

 

Motion: To approve the proposals provided by Ruppert Landscapes to remove and replace the dead trees in the common areas, except for the 3 cherry trees for the time being.

Weaver/Franks                                                   Vote 9/0/0

 

Action: Management will coordinate with Ausherman in regards to the 10 trees being planted. Three of those preferably being the cherry trees noted in the proposal.

 

  1. Cut Back Vegetation from Common Areas: The Board reviewed a proposal from Ruppert Landscapes for cutting back the encroaching over-growth from three common areas: along Longfellow Court retaining wall, behind 2231 West Greenleaf, and between 2574-2584 Carrington Way.  

 

Motion: To approve the proposal from Ruppert Landscapes to cut back the overgrowth.

Franks/Lushbaugh                                             Vote 8/1/0

 

  1. Tot Lot Signage: As the Board approved by email, the tot lot signs were installed on 8/18/20 at each of the four Association owned tot lots for a total of $458.00.

 

Motion: To ratify the email approval to purchase and install the signs at the tot lots.

Weaver/Brown                                                    Vote 9/0/0

 

  1. 2021 Draft Operating Budget: A copy of the 2021 Draft Operating Budget was reviewed by the Board. There is excess operating income due to the pools being closed, some of this excess income was used as a cash contribution to Reserves in order to have no assessment increase in 2021.

 

There would have been a 3% increase for the year. The excess can be used on op funds to put into reserves to lower the increase.

 

As done previously, Management suggested sending out postcard notices to direct Homeowners to the website to save on costs of printing and mailing the Draft Operating Budget.

 

Motion: To approve the 2021 Draft Operating Budget for publication to the Homeowners for comment.

Jackson/Sweet                                                     Vote 9/0/0       

 

Motion: To approve sending out the postcard notice to direct Homeowners to the website.

Sweet/Weaver                                                      Vote 9/0/0

 

 

  1.          COMMITTEE REPORTS:
  1. ACC Committee: Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, the ACC Committee has been reviewing and approving applications by email.
  2. Pool Committee: Nothing to report.
  3. Townhouse Committee: Nothing to report.
  4. Condo Committee: Nothing to report.
  5. Landscape Committee: The new flowers that were planted and have wilted will be replaced in September.
  6. Communications Committee: Nothing to report.
  7. Social Committee: Nothing to report.
  8. Treasurer’s Report: The Board reviewed the financial reports.

 

  1. OLD BUSINESS: There was no old business to discuss at this time.

 

  1. NEW BUSINESS:
  1. Hard Copies of the Agenda – Some Board Members would like the Agenda to be sent as a hard copy via mail again. It is difficult to open both the Zoom calls and the documents during the meeting. Some Board Members are ok with it being sent only electronically. Management clarified that they are working virtually right now. Since they are virtual, it would be best to continue to send the Agenda electronically until the office is opened again, then resume sending hard copies in the mail.

 

  1. Mowing & Landscaping – The Board discussed that it has been a couple of weeks since the last time the common areas have been mowed and landscaping touched up. The schedule is about every 10-14 days, but it could have been due to rain that it has been off. Management will follow up with Ruppert Landscaping. Some Board Members expressed that they did not like the colors of the flowers and landscaping because a lot of green makes it look like bushes. Management did note that it takes a few years to mature and flower more. The landscaping mentioned was by the pool areas and was approved by the Board. The Landscaping Committee will look at it again. Management will talk with Ruppert Landscaping about options.

 

  1. Halloween Plans – The Board asked Management if they knew what other communities are doing in regards to limiting or promoting Halloween trick-or-treating activity. Management has not heard anything come up in other communities. A Board Member mentioned that some families are discussing possible solutions on social media. It was suggested that the Board should wait for any mandates or decisions to be made at the Federal, State, and City levels before making a determination on what the Community should do.

 

  1. ADJOURNMENT: There being no additional business for the Board to conduct, the meeting adjourned at 8:27 p.m.

Motion: To adjourn the regular meeting at 8:27 p.m.

Sweet/Weaver                                                            Vote: 9/0/0

 

 

Please note the next scheduled meeting is to be held on Tuesday, October 27, 2020 at 7:00pm via Zoom video call due to COVID-19 restrictions.

 

Respectfully,

 

Renee Henning

Recording Secretary