Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting Minutes
October 22, 2019
The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at Daybreak Adult Day Service Center on October 22, 2019, at 7:00 p.m.
Paul Zimnik, President
John Arkoian, Secretary
Laura Ferguson, Director
Andrea Weaver, Director
Roger Franks, Director
Nancy Sweet, Director
Michael Brown, Director
Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer
Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative
Erin Barry, Recording Secretary
Bumni Morgan, Assisting Recording Secretary
Michael and Grace Reese, residents
Sue Miller, residents
- CALL TO ORDER:
Dr. Paul Zimnik, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. with a quorum present.
- REGULAR MINUTES:
The Board discussed the August 27, 2019 minutes as presented.
Motion: To approve the August 27, 2019 minutes as presented.
- HOMEOWNER & GUEST FORUM:
Ms. Weaver reported for the NAC, Neighborhood Advisory Committee. She stated that there were reports of drug activity in the neighborhood. The Board added the police non-emergency number to the website and encouraged residents to call it if they saw any drug or suspicious activity. She shared there has been an increase in car break-ins and encouraged residents to get a ring video doorbell to deter crime.
- MANAGEMENT REPORT:
- Snow Clearing Contract Renewal: The Board reviewed the snow clearing contract renewal from Ruppert Landscape. As the Board is aware, the Association is only responsible to clear the common sidewalks in the community, as the streets are City owned and maintained and are plowed by the City.
Motion: To approve the snow clearing contract from Ruppert Landscape as presented.
Ferguson/Weaver Vote:/ 7/0/0
- New Pool Furniture: The Board reviewed a second proposal for the outside furniture repair. Members of the Board, Ms. Weaver and Ms. Ferguson will be acting as project managers. Management made it clear that Criterion Inc., included furniture delivery and assembly as part of their proposal cost. Sometimes other companies are less expensive but delivery and assembly are not included in the quote and that can add up to more expenses for the community.
Motion: To approve up to $30,000.00 for the furniture repair project to be paid from Reserves.
Frank/Ferguson Vote: 7/0/0
- 2020 Operating Budget- Final: The 2020 Budget reflects a 4% increase ($10.00) for the General Assessments, 1.5% increase ($4.00) in Townhouse assessments and no increase for the single-family homes.
Motion: To approve 2020 Operating Budget as presented.
Sweet/Weaver Vote: 7/0/0
- COMMITTEE REPORTS:
- ACC: none
- Pool Committee: none
- Townhouse Committee: none
- Condo Committee: Ms. Sweet reported that she went to the City of Frederick and reported that two trees were removed out near East Greenleaf and requested they replace the trees. She was excited to report that the City has planted nine trees near East Greenleaf.
- Landscaping Committee: none
- Website Committee: none
- Social Committee: none
- Treasurer’s Report: none
- OLD BUSINESS:
There was no old business at this time.
- NEW BUSINESS:
There was no new business at this time.
There being no additional business for the Board to conduct, the meeting adjourned at 7:20 p.m. to executive session for the purpose of discussing delinquent business.
Motion: To adjourn the meeting.
Furgerson/Franks Vote: 7/0/0
Please note the next scheduled meeting is the Annual meeting to be held on November 26, 2019 at 7:00 pm.