Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting Minutes
June 26, 2018
Board Members Present:
Paul Zimnik, President
Bill Watt, Vice-President
Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer
Mike Desimon, Director
Susan Miller, Director
Nancy Sweet, Director
Eric Struntz, Director
John Arkoian, Secretary
Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative
Dave Geis, Ruppert Landscapes
Liz Van Brunt, Recording Secretary
CALL TO ORDER
Paul Zimnik, President of Whittier Community HOA called the
regular meeting to order at 7:00 pm with a quorum present.
Dave Geis spoke about the proposals
he submitted. He also explained the recent merger of Classic and Ruppert
Landscape. There is scheduled tree work including Wetherburne, Lakeside, Wren
and Cobblestone pool. The week of July 6th there will be drainage
work. The broadleaf touchup at Emerson and the Tuscany townhome section will
start. If anyone sees clover or weeds, please notify Dave Geis so they can be sure
they hit all the areas.
Some tree pruning has been done. There
was some discussion of the proposals and pricing – sometimes a lift truck needs
to be used as well as a chipper. Some traffic islands need to have the branches
raised above the cars. The tree warranty is to replace a tree if it dies, as
long as the community has a watering contract. Some ash trees will be replaced
with different varieties.
If Ruppert is seen to be watering
annuals it is a liquid fertilizer rather than water. People have asked about
this since it had rained just a day or so before. Such application dates can be
posted online a few days before it happens.
One retaining wall in the back of
the neighborhood could be landscaped but it is an area that is not seen by very
many people. In the future, the community will have to plant trees due to the
reforestation required by the removal of trees for development. This might be
an area where they could be planted at that time.
It was suggested that Ruppert offer
a gardening ‘Tip of The Month’ that could be put in the newsletter, along with
other potential communications.
APPROVAL OF mINUTES
The Board discussed the May 22,
Motion: To approve the regular
meeting minutes from May 22, 2018 as presented.
HOMEOWNER & GUEST FORUM
Jack, a NAC representative, shared
a report. Speeding has been the main concern. The homicide in Walnut Ridge was
related to a prom party. It is still under investigation. Issues can always be
reported to the police. The planning board information was shared. There will
be a new housing development although it will be delayed due to a state
historical society archeological dig.
A few weeks ago, the Cobblestone
pool was open but unattended around pool opening time. Nancy will find out the
details from Continental.
There were no homeowners
present to address the board.
Ruppert Landscapes submitted several proposals to remove dead
and declining common area trees and replace with various recommendations.
Some residents have inquired about having a community garden.
Some discussion of this possibility
Motion to accept all the proposals for a total of $9985, with
credits to be applied. Bernarda/Mike Vote:
Longfellow Court Retaining Wall Turf Concerns
A homeowner at Longfellow Court is concerned about the turf on
the upper level and ends of the retaining wall across from his home.
Tabled until further information is gathered.
Action: Nancy will contact Ausherman about their planned
construction and the resulting reforestation.
Tot Lot Safety Surfacing and Repairs
The safety surface needs to be replenished at the tot lots.
The poly sleeve wrap at the Lakeside Drive tot lot is splitting.
Sports System can remove the poly-sleeve wrap and apply stain/sealer and new
post caps for $2,425.
Motion to approve Playground Specialists to replenish the tot
lot safety surface as proposed for $5,182; and have Sports System remove the
cracked poly-sleeves for $2,425. Susan/Mike Vote:
Restriping and renumbering the parking spaces at Carrington and
Motion to approve Jet Services to restripe and renumber for $3,785.
Bernarda/Susan Vote: 6/0/0
Ratify Email Vote
Motion to ratify the email vote to repair the intake manifold
for the Greenleaf Pool. Bernarda/Susan Vote:
Meeting Date Change
Motion to move the September meeting to October 23, 2018. Bernarda/Bill Vote:
A. ACC: none
B. Pool Committee: none
Townhouse Committee: none
D. Condo Committee: none
E. Landscaping Committee: none
F. Website Committee: none
G. Social Committee: none
H. Treasurer’s Report: none
Some discussion of delinquent accounts.
Some discussion of the pool issues. The pool managers will be
asked to enforce the no water guns rule better.
Garage sale signs are needed since they were stolen last year.
The length of time for the garage sale could be reconsidered to a full weekend.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:20
Motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:20. Bernarda/Bill Vote:
Liz Van Brunt