Minutes

 

Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.

Regular Meeting Minutes

May 23, 2017

 

The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at the Somerford House, Frederick, Maryland on May 23, 2017, at 7:00 p.m.

 

 

Present: Paul Zimnik, President

Bill Watt, Vice-President

Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer

John Arkoian, Secretary

Nancy Sweet, Director

Roger Franks, Director

Susan Miller, Director

 

Absent:

Eric Struntz, Director

Bill Ryan, Director

 

Others Present:

Jack Weaver, NAC

Christopher Rutter, Homeowner

Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative

Shelly Henning, Recording Secretary

 

 

  1. CALL TO ORDER:

Dr. Paul Zimnik, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:01 pm with a quorum present.

 

 

  1. MINUTES:

The Board discussed April 25, 2017, minutes.

Motion: To accept the minutes as written.

Watt/Sweet Vote: Unanimous

 

 

  1. HOMEOWNER & GUEST FORUM:

Mr. Rutter addressed the Board regarding maintenance issues.

 

 

  1. MANAGEMENT REPORT:
    1. Pool Passes Withheld for Maintenance Issues:

When homeowners have maintenance violations that were noted during the spring re-inspections and they apply for pool passes, this triggers a final inspection prior to the release of the passes. The community inspector inspected these homes and found the maintenance had not been completed. These homeowners were notified in writing that they must either attend this meeting or send a written explanation to the Board.

      1. *****

The Homeowner stated it has been corrected. The house to the right of his home has been vacant for about 6 months.

      1. *******: the homeowners did not attend the meeting.

 

    1. Cobblestone Gutter Replacement:

The Board had previously approved for Banner Homes Solutions to replace the roof at the Cobblestone Pool House. They did a great job and it looks very nice. While installing the roof, they noticed that the gutters are not in very good condition. They have provided a bid of $1,760.00 with any bad fascia board that needed replacing at $3.00 per linear foot.

Motion: To accept the proposal. To be paid from Reserves.

Watt/Franks Vote: Unanimous

 

    1. Spring House Repairs:

The old spring house located in the common area behind 2409 Prentice Court has peeling paint. Management would recommend the wood siding and trim are scraped, primed and painted. Gardener’s General Contractor has estimated a cost of $1,205.00. The Board asked Management to get the dates it was last painted. The Board agreed that it needed to be maintained. It was noted that the building has a padlock on it and Management was unaware of a key for the lock. The Board wanted the lock removed and the inside of the building inspected and a new lock replaced.

Motion: To accept Gardener’s bid at $1,205.00

Jackson/Franks Vote: Unanimous

Action: Management to get previous dates the building was painted.

  1. Management to have the contractor review how the door is secured and make sure there is no way to enter the spring house. The contractor will take photos.

 

 

V. COMMITTEE REPORTS:

A. ACC: none

B. Pool Committee: none

C. Townhouse Committee: none

D. Condo Committee: none

  1. Landscaping Committee:

A Board member stated that Classic had sprayed some private property. Management suggested it was probably done by mistake. A Board member stated that an Arborist would like to come out and look at the trees in the common areas. Management stated that Classic has a three-year contract with the Association. The trees that they plant are guaranteed for life as long as Classic has the landscape contract with the community.

  1. Website Committee:

Tweeting seems to be working well.

  1. Social Committee:

The Board discussed the Lakeside Festival/National Night Out event. At least 6 months is needed to plan the event. Several residents would also need to be involved in planning the event. In the past events, the Association spent approx. 40 cents per person on food.

  1. Treasurer’s Report:

The single family homes have a low delinquency rate and the Townhouses have a higher rate.

  1. NAC Report:

Mr. Weaver gave an overview of the police reports for March, April, and May. The primary problem is still burglary of unlocked cars. The Solicitors are not carrying company identification and not even personal identification. Some are posing as Home Improvement companies and stalking homes. Soliciting is not allowed in the Frederick city limits. A Board Member will post this information on the web site along with the police officer’s information.

 

 

  1. OLD BUSINESS:
  1. Shed changes to ACC guidelines:

A Board member stated if there are no edits to the concrete/wood shed information he will forward it to the ACC.

  1. Individual Board Member’s Actions:

Dr. Zimnik, the President, reminded the Board that the Board is not to act or speak independently, that there is a code of conduct. The Board must work together. Board Members cannot take the liberty to provide guidance on any Association subject outside of the Board group. One Board member cannot speak to a lawyer, a contractor, etc. independently. Dr. Zimnik cautioned the Board about speaking on social media. Dr. Zimnik stated that each Board member is free to speak on Social Media as an individual representing their own personal opinions separate from the Board. Dr. Zimnik referred to a posting that was put on the Whittier Facebook by a Board member taking a survey for the Festival. Wrong information was given out. Dr. Zimnik stated that it is good to have different viewpoints to discuss at the meetings. The Board discussed having a non-disclosure agreement.

  1. NEW BUSINESS:
  1. Off-Leash issues:

If a dog is off leash Animal Control should be called. Animal Control would have a quicker response and they will capture the dog.

  1. Bush trimming:

A Homeowner needs to have bushes trimmed back along Rock Springs Road. Management reported this to the City Code Enforcement since they do not live in Whittier.

  1. Neighborhood Yard Sale:
  1. Board discussed where the Condo and Townhouse owners should set up for the sale.

 

 

  1. ADJOURNMENT:

There being no additional business for the Board to conduct now, the Board meeting adjourned at _8:24 pm.

Motion: That we adjourn.

Franks/Arkoian Vote: Unanimous

 

 

Please note the next scheduled meeting is June 27, 2017, at 7:00 PM.

 

 

 

Respectfully yours,

 

 

 

Shelly Henning

Recording Secretary