Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting Minutes
March 28, 2017
The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at the Somerford House, Frederick, Maryland on March 28, 2017, at 7:00 pm.
Paul Zimnik, President
Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer
John Arkoian, Secretary (departed the meeting at 8:48)
Eric Struntz, Director
Bill Ryan, Director
Nancy Sweet, Director
Roger Franks, Director
Susan Miller, Director
Bill Watt, Vice-President
Dan Milenkov, Continental Pools
Bruce Ramsey, Continental Pools
David Latch, ACC Chair
Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative
Shelly Henning, Recording Secretary
- CALL TO ORDER:
Dr. Paul Zimnik, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:03 pm with a quorum present.
The Board discussed the February 28,2017 minutes and the corrections that needed to be made.
Motion: To accept with some corrections.
Sweet/Jackson Vote: 7 For 1 Abstain
- HOMEOWNER & GUEST FORUM:
One homeowner present
- MANAGEMENT REPORT:
- Spring Pool Opening Proposals:
- Milenkov and Mr. Ramsey with Continental Pools attended the Board meeting to answer any questions the Board had regarding the proposal to prepare the pools for the opening. Management stated that some of the pool opening expenses could come from the Reserve funds and some should be paid from the Operating funds.
Mr. Milenkov stated that the Greenleaf pool has lost a significant amount of water. Currently, there is only a foot of water in the deep end of the pool and the pool water is normally just below the tile line. They would like to pressure test the lines to determine where the leak may be; it may be a plumbing issue. The cost to repair Greenleaf is unknown currently.
Motion: That we accept all 3 proposals as stated. Items that are Reserve items should be paid from Reserve Funds. All other items paid from operating.
Franks/Struntz Vote: Unanimous
- Pool House Roof Replacement- Cobblestone and Wetherburne:
- this year Management had a contractor do some shingle repairs on the Cobblestone Pool House roof from high winds and the contractor strongly recommended the Association replace the roof. Management obtained three bids. The funds would come out of the Reserve funds. The roof was originally scheduled to be replaced in 2018. Banner Home Solutions was significantly less than the other two roofing companies. This company has done work in another Association that Vanguard manages and those owners have been very pleased with Banner’s work. The Board would like to get the Cobblestone Pool House roof done first and have the Wetherburne roof done at a later date.
Motion: To approve Banner Home Solutions proposal to replace the Cobblestone pool house roof. To be paid from Reserves.
Ryan/Franks Vote: 5 For 1 Abstain 1 Against
- Shade Structure-Greenleaf Pool:
- the Annual Meeting, a homeowner brought up a concern regarding the need for additional shade at the Greenleaf pool. Management contacted USA Shade for a quote for a new two post hip shade structure that would match the current shade structures installed at the pools. Continental Pools submitted a proposal to accept delivery and install the shade structure. The total cost for the structure is $8,777.80. If the Board would like to install this shade structure it could be paid from the Capital Improvement budget, which has $6,000.00 budgeted in 2017. The Board would like to table this decision until they know what is causing the Greenleaf pool to lose water, as there may be additional expenses for pool repairs.
- ACC Appeal *****:
- ACC Committee denied an application for the placement of a storage unit. **** has requested an appeal before the Board. He is requesting a variance on the location for the shed due to the shape of his lot and the size of the shed. Mr. Latch, the ACC Chair, explained that it was denied due to the where the Homeowner wanted to place the shed. ***** would like to place the shed on the side of his house. The guidelines require that a shed is placed in the backyard. Variances for sheds have been allowed in the past but only if it is a Lot that does not physically allow a shed to go there such as a slope to the yard and the Homeowner has no other choice. ***** stated that he currently has a garden in his backyard and does not want to move the garden to place the shed there. He also stated that he has plans to install a deck. He commented that his back yard would be too crowded if he had the shed, garden, and the deck in it. He commented that the shed if placed in his backyard, would block his neighbor’s view. He commented that his neighbors would prefer the shed to be on the side of his house and out of sight. size of the shed that he has selected is 12 x 20. He is willing to plant shrubs and trees in front of the shed. A Board member commented that a shed blocking the views of neighbors would not be a reason for a variance. A Board member commented that this would be outside the regulations and by allowing this we would establish a precedence issue for other homeowners. The Board must look at the impact of the community. A Board member stated, “Regardless of what Board member sits on the Board, a new Board member should be able to come in and fill in and make the same decisions based on the objective guidelines we have.”
Motion: To deny the Homeowner’s ACC appeal.
Zimnik/Struntz Vote: 5 For 1 Against 1 Abstain
V. COMMITTEE REPORTS:
A. ACC: none
B. Pool Committee: none
C. Townhouse Committee: none
D. Condo Committee: none
E Landscaping Committee: Spring grounds maintenance has started.
- Website Committee: A homeowner stated that the Whittier Website does not have the current Meeting Minutes posted. A Board member will check on the Meeting Minute postings.
- Social Committee: The Board needs to discuss National Night Out/Lakeside Festival and decide if they will be doing the event.
- Treasurer’s Report: none
- OLD BUSINESS:
Mr. Franks will try again to contact the Neighborhood Watch group from Worman’s Mill and invite them to attend the next Board meeting. The Board would like to ask them questions about their Neighborhood Watch program.
- NEW BUSINESS:
There was no new business discussed.
The meeting adjourned at 8:57 pm.
Motion: To adjourn.
Jackson/Ryan Vote: Unanimous
Please note the next scheduled meeting is April 25, 2017, at 7:00 pm.