Minutes

Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting Minutes
November 24, 2008

The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at the Whittier Elementary School, Frederick, Maryland on November 24, 2008 at 7 p.m.

 

Present:                                                                        Absent:                                               
Bill Watt, President                                                    Michael Brown, Director
Eric Struntz, Vice-President                                     Josh Bokee, Director
Erlene Moser, Treasurer                         
Paul Zimnik, Director                                   
Jenny Marino, Director
William Lukens, Director
Mark Nichols, Director (resigned)
Gary Simon, Director

Others Present:
Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative
Shelly Henning, Recording Secretary

I.  CALL TO ORDER:
Mr. Bill Watt, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:56 p.m. with a quorum present.

II. MINUTES:
                  October 27, 2008 meeting minutes.
            Motion:  The October 27, 2008 minutes are approved as presented.
             Lukens/Simon               Vote:   Unanimous

III. ELECTION OF OFFICERS:

A. President:
Motion:  Nominate Mr.Watt for President.
Struntz/Lukens            Vote:  Unanimous

B. Vice President:
Motion:  Nominate Mr. Struntz for Vice President.
Watt/Simon                        Vote:  Unanimous

 C. Secretary:
Motion:  Nominate Ms. Marino as Secretary.
Struntz/Simon      Vote:  Unanimous

D. Treasurer:
Ms. Moser declined to be re-elected for the position.
Motion:  Mr. Simon to the position of Treasurer.
Watt/Zimnik                        Vote:  Unanimous

IV. HOMEOWNER FORUM:
 There were no Homeowners present to address the Board.            

V. MANAGEMENT REPORT:

A. ACC Committee Request/Homeowner Variance Request:

1.  Flag Pole on Carrington Way.
ACC denied the flag pole but Management doesn’t think they have grounds because at this time there is nothing in the guild lines that keep them from having it.  It was agreed that a 20 foot flag pole in the town homes would be too big.  But going forward the Board decided that they need to re visit the flag pole rules and change the guide lines for future applications.  The Board will allow this flag pole.
Motion: That we allow the flag pole as it was originally applied for. 
Struntz//Lukens         Vote:  1 opposes and 6 for.
Revisit the flag pole rules in future meeting.

2. Shed - XXXX Wynfield Drive

The Board would like to defer a decision until the homeowner can come to the January Board meeting to discuss.  The Board would also like to hear from the neighbors on each side of this homeowner.  Management is to send a letter to the neighbors.

B. Excess Income Resolution:

Motion:  The Association elects to apply all or part of the excess assessment income to the following year’s assessment and that such final amount shall be at the Board’s discretion.
Simon/Moser                                    Vote:  Unanimous

C. Write Off to Bad Debt:

XXXX Catoctin Court XX.
Motion:  To write off $760.75 to bad debt.
Struntz/Zimnik         Vote:  Unanimous

D. 2007 Audit:

The Board noted that it was a clean audit.  The reserves are fully funded.  A Board member thought that they should consider investing more money in the community in 2009.  Management likes to have a cushion.  And Management made a note that the moneys from the builders will be stopping soon. 
Motion:  Move that we accept the 2007 audit
Simon/ Lukens                         Vote:  1 up stain and 6 for.
  

VI.      COMMITTEE REPORTS:

A. ACC:  none
B. Pool Committee:
 Joy Nichols has resigned from the committee.  The Board would like to thank Joy for her many years of service.  Management did receive 2 volunteer interest forms for the pool committee, Carol Kirby and Joshua Messner and Management will contact them.  Mr. Simon is willing to act as the Board Liaison to the new pool committee.
C. Townhouse Committee:  none
D. Condo Committee:  none
E. Landscaping Committee:
Classic landscaping will do a leaf collection in November and one in December.  There should be at least one ore mowing of the common areas for this year.  The Board would like Management to get estimates for the sidewalks to be pressure washed and the mail box locations for a future date.
F. Communications Committee: 
The Board would like to talk about how they are going to do the newsletter.  It would be nice to solicit what residents would like to put in it. 
Action: Tabled until a future meeting.
G.
Social Committee:
The police officer that worked on last summer’s event is no longer with the police department.  The committee is trying to set up a meeting with the person that has replaced her position.
H.  Tresurer’s Report:  none

VII.    OLD BUSINESS:

A. Townhouse painted siding, shutters and doors.
Update:  The homeowner was sent a letter to return siding, shutters and doors to original color.  Because of weather conditions being too cold to paint they were given until spring of 2009 to make the corrections.

VIII. NEW BUSINESS:

A.  Cobblestone Pool:
                 A Board member noticed that when the gate closes there is still a gap.  He   noticed several small children were getting thru.  Management to check.
B.  Paint Colors:
                The paint colors are on the web site.  McCormick and Duron should have the colors on file.
C. Reserve Advisors:
This company wanted to know if we wanted to do an update.  The Board decided not at this time.

IX. ADJOURNMENT:

                    There being no additional business for the Board to conduct at this time, the    Board meeting adjourned at 9:12 p.m.
                     Motion:  To adjourn the meeting.
                     Struntz/Lukens                     Vote:  Unanimous

 

Please note the next scheduled meeting is January 26, 2009 at 7:00PM.

 

Respectfully yours,

 

Shelly Henning
Recording Secretary