Minutes

           
Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting Minutes
April 27, 2009

The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at the Somerford House, Frederick, Maryland on April 27, 2009 at 7:01 p.m.

Present

Gary Simon, Treasurer
Jenny Marino, Director
William Lukens, Director
Erlene Moser, Director 
Michael Brown, Director
Josh Bokee, Director   
 

Others Present:
Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative
Shelly Henning, Recording Secretary
Kristi Lenhart, Homeowner
Bob Terpening, Continential Pools

Absent

Bill Watt, President
Eric Struntz, Vice-President 
Paul Zimnik, Director

        

 

                                                     

I. CALL TO ORDER:
Mr. Gary Simon, Treasurer of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:00p.m. with a quorum present.

II. MINUTES:

The Board discussed the March minutes.  It was noted there were grammatical errors that needed to be corrected. 
Motion:   To approve the March minutes with the grammatical corrections.   
Moser/Lukens                        Vote:  Unanimous 
                 

III. HOMEOWNER FORUM:
 A. XXXX Lakeside Drive  (Lenhart) Common Area Tree Concern:

      1. Ms. Lenhart and her father addressed the Board regarding the maple tree located on common area but is invading her property.  She would like to remove the tree at her cost and even replace the tree.  The Board understands Ms. Lenhart’s dilemma with the tree.  If she were to install a patio in her back yard it would not be long before the tree’s roots would do damage to her new patio.  The roots are already 7 to 8 feet into her property.  The Board wanted to know if she planned on removing the stump and roots that were located on the common area.  Ms. Lenhart did give the Board permission to go into her back yard. The Board also advised Ms. Lenhart that they cannot stop the homeowner from removing the tree roots on her property; if it kills the tree, she hasn’t done anything wrong and won’t be held responsible.  The Board would like to review why they made the decision they did last year.  

Action:  The Board would like to table until they can take another look at the tree and Ms. Lenhart’s back yard.

 

IV. MANAGEMENT REPORT:

A. Ausherman Landscape Request

The Ausherman’s proposal was discussed.  The Board thought they should wait and let the entire Board weigh in on this one.  A Board member thought they should represent the Homeowners that came to the last meeting.  There was concern for the future development of the property behind the berm that the same homeowners would want some kind of screen between them and that property and then it would be a great cost to the community.
Motion:  Table until the next meeting.
Lukens/Moser                                    Vote:  Unanimous

        

B. Continential Pools:

Mr. Terpening with Continential Pools was at the meeting to give an update on the pools for this summer.  The staff will be about 75% Americans and 25% will be from abroad.  They will speak excellent English.  Mr. Terpening said there had been a new policy of not hiring kids that live in the community to work in the same community.  The Management is not against residents working as life guards.  Management would not want to lose the good life guards.  And the Board would not want to instruct them (Continential) whom to hire or not to hire.  Repairs to the pools went well.  Biggest issue this year was the drain covers and the new laws for them.  But Whittier is ready.  An email will be sent o the Board members when they are finished with all inspections.   A Board member asked Mr. Terpening about his opinion on Bubbles for the pools.  Mr. Terpening said they are very expensive to operate.  Windstorms can be very detrimental to the bubbles.

C. Cobblestone Pool Parking Lot Sealcoating:

The Board reviewed the bisds obtained by Management.  Management reported that Accubid no longer is doing sealcoating.  The bids from the other companies were close in price.
Motion:  To approve O’Leary Asphalt Inc.’s proposal.
Brown/Marino                                    Vote:  Unanimous

D. Homeowner Fee Waiver Requests:

      1.  XXXXX Ellsworth Way, 1C (XXXXX)
      2.  XXXXX Graystone Lane (XXXXX)
      3. XXXXX Catoctin Ct. #XXXXX (XXXXX)
      4. XXXXX Emerson Drive (XXXXX)

The Board discussed all four cases.  Management stated the $45.00 fee is for sending a certified letter of intent.  It is a real cost to the community. 
Motion:  Deny the request of all 4 request of waiver.  This is an actual collection cost to the HOA.
Lukens/Moser                    Vote:  Unanimous 

      1.  XXXXX Driftwood Court #XXXXX

The board discussed that the owner of this property had passed away.  Since the Homeowner had no control over this the Board would not hold the family responsible.
Motion:  Because of the death in the family, approve the waiver of the $45.00 assesment fee.
Lukens/Brown                    Vote:  Unanimous

                                   
           

  V.      COMMITTEE REPORTS:

A. ACC:  none
B.  Pool Committee:  none
C.  Townhouse Committee:  none

D. Condo Committee:  none     

E. Landscaping Committee:

It was noted that there are already a lot of weeds.  There was also discussion of an adjacent property to the community that the city needs to be made aware that it needs attention. 
Action:  Management to notify the city of the property.

F. Communications Committee:  none

G. Social Committee: 

The Board discussed the “National Night Out” social.  Mr. Simon is to email Mr. Zimnik to see what has been started.  The city gave us great feedback last year.  If the city isn’t interested this year should we do something?  The celebration would be in August and planning would need to get started right away.
H.  Treasurer’s Report:  none

 

VI.     OLD BUSINESS:
   

  1.  Geese Police:

The city is currently getting bids.  The city will let Management know when the bid is awarded.  Management will contact the same company to work with them also.  There doesn’t seem to be as many geese this year.

2.  Glen Echo:

The issue has been resolved.   

VII. NEW BUSINESS:

     

  1.  Caregiver Authorization Form:

Management wanted to check with the Board to make sure they were still on board with the approved form from last year.  The Board would like to keep the same policy as last year.  

 

VIII.    ADJOURNMENT:
                There being no additional business for the Board to conduct at this time, the Board    meeting adjourned at 8:17p.m.
         Motion:  motion to adjourn at 8:17p.m.
         Moser/Brown            Vote:  Unanimous

 

Please note the next scheduled meeting is, Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 7:00p.m.

 

 

Respectfully yours,

 

Shelly Henning
Recording Secretary