Minutes

           
Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting Minutes
June 22, 2009

The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at Somerford House, Frederick, Maryland on June 22, 2009 at 7:01 p.m..


Present

Bill Watt, President
Eric Struntz, Vice-President
Paul Zimnik, Director
Michael Brown, Director
Jenny Marino, Director
William Lukens, Director
Erlene Moser, Director 

 

Absent

Gary Simon, Treasurer
Josh Bokee, Director

Others Present

Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative
Shelly Henning, Recording Secretary
Scott, Classic Landscaping, Inc. brought refreshments for the Board and left immediately.

 

 

I. CALL TO ORDER
  Mr. Bill Watt, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:00pm with a quorum present.

 

II. MINUTES

  The Board discussed the May 26, 2009 minutes.
Motion:  To accept the minutes with 1 typo correction.
Lukens/Moser Vote: Unanimous

 

III. HOMEOWNER FORUM

 

A. XXX, XXXX Wetherburne Way

Mr. XXXX stated that the peeling paint in the front and back of his home had been repaired.  Management noted that on June 2, it was not yet fixed.   Management reminded Mr. XXXX that the townhomes are inspected both in the front and the back.
Motion:  Move that we grant him pass privileges for the pool.
Lukens/Brown                        Vote:  5 in favor 1 abstain

B. XXX,  XXX Palace Green Terrace

Ms. XXX told the Board that the fence issues have been repaired. 
   She provided pictures of the fence to the Board.
Motion:  Move that we award the pool passes.
Zimnik/Struntz Vote:  Unanimous

C.  Mr. & Mrs. XXX, XXX Emerson Drive

Mrs. XXX was very concerned that a large amount of homes on her street are not being properly maintained.  Her biggest complaint is that she felt she had to bring it to Managements attention.  Management assured her that they are very aware of the situation and are doing all that they can to rectify the problem.  Mrs. XXX was also concerned about the tot lot on Emerson and that it needed mulch added to it for the safety of the children.  Management informed her that they have proposals and that the Board would be voting on it tonight.

D. Mr. XXX, XXX Emerson Drive

Mr. XXX was also very concerned about the condition of the homes on his street.  He said this has been going on for 2 years.  The Board and Management hear the frustrations of the homeowners and they too are very frustrated.  Violation letters have been sent to the Homeowners, the Homeowner has 10 days to respond to the letter.  Management is not able to fine the homeowner for the violations.  The Board decided to revisit this issue in New Business.

 

IV. MANAGEMENT REPORT

 

A. Ausherman Landscape Request:

The Board discussed the meeting with Jeremy.  He would like to meet sometime in July.  Ms. Marino and Management will also attend the meeting.   They decided it would be good to have Classic attend the meeting.  They need to know how many trees they are talking about.   The Board also discussed where to place some of the trees.  They thought the pools might be an option in order to offer shade.  The Lake could also be an option even though it is not Whittier property.
Action:  Jeremy with Ausherman to meet with Management, Ms. Marino and Classic to discuss tree placement in July

        

B. Landscape Committee Report:

There are a lot of bed services that need to be done.  This would be for fall planting.  We are currently waiting for Classic to come back with a proposal.  There is no action needed until the August meeting.

C. Tot Lot Surfacing:

The Board discussed the tot lots.  Emerson is a big tot lot and it does get a lot of wash off from rain.  This expense would come out of the reserve expenses.
Motion:   That we go with Playground Specialists, Inc. for the tot lots.
Struntz/Zimnik                                    Vote:  Unanimous

 D. Whittier Lakeside Festival:

The decision was made that the Board would communicate thru emails regarding the Festival due to the time frame.  The Police department is offering their moral support but unable to offer financial support of the event this year.  However, the Board decided last year because it was such a good event for the community they had put money in the budget for it.  Last year there were about 1,000 people that attended.  Mr. Zimnik is checking into many options for the event like:  pony rides, a dunk tank, a parrot show, paddle boats, moon bounce, food, and a radio station and much more.  The Board also discussed who they could get donations from for the event, Wal-Mart, Costco and maybe the Aushermans.  The Board would like to see it be a success again.
Motion:  That the Board authorize expenditures up to $10,000.00 on this event.
Lukens/Struntz                                    Vote:  5 for 1 abstain

E. Homeowner payment Plan Request:

The Board discussed that the homeowners are wanting to make the payments.  If the Board accepts the payment plan it would stop the fees and the collection procedures.

 XXX Paxton Terrace (XXX)

Requesting the Board grant a payment plan of $300.00 per month until the balance of $2,011.09 is paid in full.
Motion:  That we in this particular instance accept $300.00 per month until the balance of $2,011.09 is paid in full.  If there are missed payments resume collections at that time.
Struntz/Zimnik                  Vote:  5 for 1 oppose

 XXX Prentice Court (XXX)

Requesting the Board grant a payment plan in the amount of $40.00 per month for June thru September and increase to $100.00 per month in October until the balance of $606.50 has been paid in full.
Motion:  That we in this particular instance accept the amount of $40.00 per month for June thru September and in October the amount to increase to $100.00 until the balance is paid in full.  If there are missed payments resume collections at that time.
Struntz/Zimnik                  Vote:  5 for 1 oppose

 

V. COMMITTEE REPORTS

 

A.  ACC:
The Board wanted to know if the approved colors for doors and shutters are on the web.

B.  Pool Committee:
A Board member brought it to the attention of Management that the gate is still an issue at Cobblestone Pool.  There is still a gap that smaller children can get thru.
Action:  Management will follow up on.

C.  Townhouse Committee:  none

D.  Condo Committee: none

E. Landscaping Committee:
Echo Glenn Ridge View 1 has more weeds in their grass.  It doesn’t look like they treat for them.  Can we send them a letter?
Action:  Management will talk with them.

F. Communication Committee: 
The Board discussed the web addresses that Whittier has.  They have decided to use Whittieronline.org and to make Go Whittier a legacy thing.  Management will start referring people to Whittieronline.org.

G. Social Committee:
There was concern that paddle boats on the lake for the festival could be a problem for the new irrigation system
Action:  Management to check out with the installation company and get back to Mr. Zimnik.

H.  Treasurer’s Report:  none

 

VI. OLD BUSINESS

 

There is a bench that is broken by the lake.  The bench does not have any wood on it.  It has been this way for some time.  The Board would like to see that the bench gets replaced before the festival.
Action:  Management will call the city to have them fix it.

 

VII. NEW BUSINESS

 

The Board and homeowners are very frustrated that some homeowners are not maintaining their properties as they should.  The Boards hands have been tied and they have only been able to send out letters to those who are making the violations.  The problems are only getting worse.  They discussed and decided to form a committee to see what other options they might have.  They realize they are probably going to have to think “outside the box” to come up with resolutions.  There should be provisions in the bylaws to help deal with this situation.  Mr. Lukens offers to head the committee.  Management would also be on the committee.  Ms. Marino would also like to be on the committee since landscaping is an issue in this.  Mr. Lukens will also ask Mr. Bokee and Mr. Simon if they would like to participate.  Other Board members were also willing to step up if needed.  The committee will be called:  Violation Policy Committee.

 

VIII. ADJOURNMENT

  There being no additional business for the Board to conduct at this time, the Board meeting adjourned at 8:56pm.
         Motion:  To adjourn the meeting.
         Moser/Zimnik  Vote:  Unanimous 
 

 

Please note the next scheduled meeting is August 24, 2009 at 7:00PM.

 

 

Respectfully yours,

 

Shelly Henning
Recording Secretary