Skip to main content

Minutes

           
Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting Minutes

September 28, 2009

The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at the Whittier Elementary School, Frederick, Maryland on September 28, 2009 at 7:00 p.m.


Present

Bill Watt, President
Eric Struntz, Vice-President
Jenny Marino, Director
Paul Zimnik, Director
William Lukens, Director

 

 

Absent

Gary Simon, Treasurer
Michael Brown, Director
Josh Bokee, Director
Erlene Moser, Director

Others Present

Craig Wilson, Vanguard Management
Shelly Henning, Recording Secretary

 

 

 

I. CALL TO ORDER
 

Mr. Bill Watt, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 6:55pm with a quorum present.

 

II. MINUTES

 

The Board discussed the August 24, 2009 minutes.  It was noted that the date for the previous minutes was incorrect and needed to be corrected.
Motion:  To approve the minutes as amended.
Lukens/Marino                  Vote:  Unanimous    

 

III. HOMEOWNER FORUM

 

There were no Homeowners present to address the Board.

 

IV. MANAGEMENT REPORT

 

A. Pool Winterization:

The Board and Management discussed the options that winterization for the pools.  The algaecide treatment was really the only thing that is needed to be done and it is already in the standard contract.   The other items were not needed.
Action:  Management will notify Continental Pools.

B. Pool Management Contract: 

The Board discussed the different pricing from the contractors.  The Board noted that they did not have any complaints with Continental Pools from last season and that they were the best price. 
Motion:  Move that we award the contract to Continental Pools again for next year.  
Zimnik/Struntz                        Vote:  Unanimous

C. Legal Opinion Regarding Administrative Fee : 

The Board and Management discussed the legal opinion from the attorney for the issue of passing on a charge of administrative fee to the homeowners where remedial work has to be completed on their property.  Whatever the cost that is incurred you can pass that it onto the homeowner.  Management stated that the Board is already covered in the enforcement policy but spoke about making it more explicit.
Action:   Management will give the Board a redrafted language that they can vote on.

 D. Snow Removal Contract:

The Board discussed that the prices are the same as last year.  We only get billed if we use them. 
Motion:  To approve.
Struntz/Marino                        Vote:  Unanimous

Action:  Management to contact AEC.

E. 2010 Operating Budget:

The Board discussed the meeting that had been held on September 14, 2009 to review the budget. 
Motion:  Move that we approve the budget for publication.
Lukens/Zimnik                        Vote:  Unanimous

 F. No Soliciting Signs:

The Board discussed what signs they liked and where it would be appropriate to place the signs.  Management said the city may allow them to place the signs on city property but they would need the city’s permission.  The sign’s language in the lower right hand corner on page 25 of the management packet reflected what the Board wanted.  The Board decided they wanted the 12x 18 size.  The Board also thought the sign should be reflective.  They discussed in order for this to be effective – the homeowners will need to call the police when a solicitor is in the neighborhood.  Once the signage is posted the police will then be able to ask the solicitor to leave the community. 
Motion:  Move that the Board authorize up to $650.00 for purchase of the No Soliciting Signs with details of placement to be provided later.
Zimnik/Struntz                        Vote:  Unanimous
Action:  Management to call the city to see if they will allow the community to post signs on the city property.

 

 

V. COMMITTEE REPORTS

 

A.  ACC: Mr. Blaine Wilson’s shed
It was mentioned that Mr. Wilson installed his shed without going thru the proper process with the ACC Committee.
Action:  Management to let ACC know of the size change in sheds.
Action:  Management to notify Mr. Wilson that he needs to follow the steps of approval with ACC.

B.  Pool Committee: The Board will review the pool package next month.

C.  Townhouse Committee:  none

D.  Condo Committee: none

E. Landscaping Committee:

  1. Plantings:

All the plantings were completed.  They look nice.

  1.  Grass/Weeds:

There are several places that we have no grass but a lot of weeds.  We have never stopped the weed control – don’t understand why it is so bad.
Action:  Management to notify Classic.

  1.  Cleanup @ the school:

Do we know what fall cleanup that we are doing for the school?
Action:  Management will contact Classic regarding the school.

 

F. Communication Committee: 

  1. Halloween:

The time for Trick or treating will be posted on the web.  The time will be from 6-8pm.   

  1.  Declaration:

The board discussed putting the Declaration on the web.  The guidelines are already on the web and they thought it might be beneficial for the Declaration to be there also.  They determined that they should get a quote for putting it on word document.

 

G. Social Committee:

The Lakeside Festival:

A representative for the police department said we have the best site for the event.  He also said that as long as Whittier wants us there Whittier will be our prime spot for the future.  Next year it will be August 3rd.   The Board thought next year we should do flyers door to door advertising the event.  They thought the food worked well.  We had at least 700 people attend.

H.  Treasurer’s Report:  

Delinquent Balance Trend:

During the budget meeting on September14, 2009 the Board had concern for the delinquent balance.  Management put together the delinquent balance figures for the past three years and it is actually worse than expected.  Management noted that the problem is not unusual in this economy.  There are many people upside down in their mortgages.  The people that have the ability to pay are paying.  Management is doing what they can to collect the debt.  They are looking closely at the debt before it is turned over to the attorneys.  The Board and Management spoke about the advantages of only filing liens in order not to incur additional legal fees.  The Board discussed with Management the possibility of establishing a policy for large debt to determine if the homeowner is judgment proof or not.  If the property should go into foreclosure management is having some success in collecting the lien because the bank wants the title to be clear.  Management thought this trend might continue for an additional 18 months.

 

 

 

 

VI. OLD BUSINESS

 

There was no old business discussed.

 

 

VII. NEW BUSINESS

 

A. Flood Plain

It was noted that the construction has already started on the flood plain.

 

B. New Colors

It was noted that there are new colors in the development in the new section.  The Board discussed that as long as it is in harmony and already established color that those colors needed to be added to the web site.
Action:  New colors added to the web site.

 

 

VIII. ADJOURNMENT

 

There being no additional business for the Board to conduct at this time, the Board meeting adjourned at 8:38pm.
         Motion:  To adjourn the meeting.

        Zimnik/Struntz                                              Vote:  Unanimous

 

 

Please note the next scheduled meeting is October 26, 2009 at 7:00PM.

 

 

Respectfully yours,

 

Shelly Henning
Recording Secretary