Minutes

           
Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting Minutes

August 23, 2010

The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at the Somerford House, Frederick, Maryland on August 23, 2010 at 7:00 p.m.


Present

Bill Watt, President
Eric Struntz, Vice-President
Paul Zimnik, Director
Jenny Marino, Director
Bill Ryan, Director

 

Absent

Josh Bokee, Director
Erlene Moser, Director
Gary Simon, Treasurer
Michael Brown, Director

Others Present

Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative
Shelly Henning, Recording Secretary
Tim Swanson, City of Frederick
Homeowners from Emerson, Paxton and Carrington

 

 

I. CALL TO ORDER
 

Mr. Bill Watt, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:11p.m. with a quorum present.

 

II. MINUTES

 

The Board discussed the June 2010 minutes. 
Motion:  To approve the June minutes with a spelling correction.
Zimnik/Struntz                          Vote:  Unanimous 

 

III. HOMEOWNER FORUM

 

There were several Homeowners from the Townhomes located on Emerson, Paxton, and Carrington that had several concerns:

  1.  The children are not being supervised by parents and are getting into trouble and causing problems.  The police are out constantly.
  2. The grounds are not what they should be.
  3. Litter is a big problem.
  4. A tree in a common area needs to be replaced.
  5.  Some units are in need of repair.
  6.  A lot of these units have become rentals and the homeowners wondered if the renters were aware of the rules of the Association. They thought that it would be a good idea if a “renter’s packet” could be given to the renters with the rules of the Association.
  7.  The Homeowners would like more communication and miss the newsletter.  They were not clear about the web site and the information on the web.

The Board and Management discussed with the Homeowners that they should consider joining the Townhouse Committee and that they then could form ideas and come back to the Board to help the situation.  A Board member discussed the NAC (Neighborhood Advisory Council).  This Council has representatives from many different agencies to help with issues as these. The Board member committed to emailing them information about the next meeting.  Management also requested that the Homeowners send emails or call them with violations, issues in common areas and that the Homeowner could remain anonymous if they wanted.  The Homeowners were also told that they too can call the City for code enforcements.   The Board also encouraged the Homeowners to contribute to the web site.  The Homeowners would like to see a letter to go out focused on the problems and the rules of the community.  The Board requested that the Homeowners put all of their concerns in writing and their recommended solutions.
.  

 

 

IIIb. City of Frederick

 

Tim Swanson a City employee and resident of Whittier had concerns with confusion on the Palace Green Terrace address.  There is a west and an east and the numbers are the same but it is difficult to distinguish between the two.  Packages, deliveries are constantly being delivered to the wrong address.   The location of the sign would be better if it were on the common area.  He would like permission for a sign to be put on the common area.  Tim would then go back to the City and see if they would put a sign up. 
Motion:  Give him the permission to put the sign on HOA common property.
Ryan/Struntz                                          Vote:  Unanimous

 

IV. MANAGEMENT REPORT

 

A. Pool Management Renewal  Contract:

Last year we did just 1 yr contract.  They had best pricing last year and this year there is only a minor increase.  Management did inspections on the pool management and they did well. 
Motion:  That we accept a 2 year extension.
Zimnik/Marino                                             Vote:  Unanimous

    

B. Fall Pool Repairs:

 Cobblestone:

Remove and replace Radius R1, R2, or R3 coping stone at main.  Remove and replace skimmer with existing equalizer at main.

Greenleaf:

Regrout between two coping stones including demo at main.

Wetherburne:

Double sawcut, demo, and regrout coping/tile junction at main.  Sawcut and caulk deck cracks at main.  Regrout between two coping stone including demo at main.  Regrout between two coping stone including demo at wading.  Remove and replace ladder pad at main.  Safety stencil with white background at main.  Depth stencil with white background at main. 

These are anticipated cost and money has been put in the Reserve Fund for these type repairs.
Motion:  That we do all the recommended pool repairs and it will come out of the reserve fund.
Struntz/Zimnik                                            Vote:  Unanimous

 

C. Poolhouse Tile Flooring:

Last year we had done the Cobblestone pool and had agreed to do a pool each year.   Continental did a really good job on the Cobblestone pool.  Management has found this to be a competitive price.
Motion:  We approve Greenleaf this year
Struntz/Zimnik                                            Vote: Unanimous
We will wait for Wetherburne for next year unless they will lower the price for doing both this year.  We would like a 15% discount on the two combined.
Action:  Management to go back to continental and ask for a discount for both pools of 15% and they will do both this year. 

 D.  2011 Draft Budget:

The Board decided to have a separate meeting for the 2011 Budget.  The meeting will be Tuesday, August 31, 2010.
Action:  Management to send an email to the Board regarding the time and location of the meeting.

 

V. COMMITTEE REPORTS

 

A.  ACC: none

B.  Pool Committee:
A Board member mentioned that they have a few people that are interested in the Pool Committee.

C.  Townhouse Committee:  none

D.  Condo Committee: none

E. Landscaping Committee:
It was mentioned that the Association is due for a cut and edging.  The crab grass is back and would like Scott to reevaluate.  Ms. Marino would like to do a drive thru the community with Classic.

F. Communication Committee: none

G. Social Committee:
National Night Out was a success.   Approximately 1200 participated, about 500 more than last year.  The Board discussed sending a letter to the Chief of Police to thank them.

H.  Treasurer’s Report:  none

I. Ad Hoc Committee FAST Proposed Bubble Enclosure:  none

 

 

VI. OLD BUSINESS

 

There was no old business discussed.

 

VII. NEW BUSINESS

 

The Board discussed the Townhouse situation discussed with the Homeowners earlier in the meeting.   The Board should improve communication to that area.  The Board would also like to consider some clean up to that area.  They would like to explore communications to the community.

 

VIII. ADJOURNMENT

 

There being no additional business for the Board to conduct at this time, the Board    meeting adjourned at: 9:27 p.m.
         Motion:  To close the meeting
         Zimnik/Marino                                                Vote:  Unanimous

 

 

Please note the next scheduled meeting is September 27, 2010 at 7:00PM.

 

 

Respectfully yours,

 

Shelly Henning
Recording Secretary