Minutes

           
Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting Minutes

January 25, 2011

The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at the Somerford House, Frederick, Maryland on January 25, 2011 at 7:00 pm.


Present

Bill Watt, President
Eric Struntz, Vice President (arrived at 8:02pm)
Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer
Jenny Marino, Secretary
Paul Zimnik, Director
Bill Ryan, Director (arrived at 7:04pm)
Gary Wass, Director
Gary Simon, Director

 

Absent

Michael Brown, Director

Others Present

Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative
Shelly Henning, Recording Secretary
George Long, ACC
Dave Fowler, Resident

 

 

I. CALL TO ORDER
 

Mr. Bill Watt, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:02pm with a quorum present.

 

II. MINUTES

 

The Board discussed the November 22, 2010 minutes.
Motion: To accept the minutes as written.
Zimnik/Wass Vote: Unanimous

 

III. HOMEOWNER FORUM

 

XXXX, a new homeowner in Whittier wanted to bring to the Board’s attention of the possibility of high levels of Radon in Whittier. Mr. XXXX also wanted the other homeowner’s to be informed. He has experienced very high levels in his new home. The EPA has approved any levels under 4 but his level was 28. They discussed different testing kits and different ventilation possibilities. The Board also agreed that it would be good to inform other homeowners in the community. The Board would like to put the information on the web site as a FYI for homeowners. Mr. XXXX will email information to Mr. Zimnik to put on the web.

 

IV. MANAGEMENT REPORT

 

A. Whittier Lake Maintenance:

Aquatic Environment Consultants (AEC) has given a proposal for the same management program that was completed during the summer of 2010. The cost is the same as last year at $2,160.00 for five treatments. These are in addition to the City of Frederick treatments. The treatments are once a month starting in May thru September. AEC is under the impression the city will do what they did last year in treating the lake.
Motion: To approve the treatment as we had last year.
Zimnik/Ryan Vote: Unanimous

B. Homeowner Pool Pass Distribution Materials:

The Board discussed and approved the documents. Management would like to distribute by late March or early April.
Motion: Move that we approve the pool documents.
Zimnik/Simon Vote: Unanimous

C. Pool Hours:

The Whittier Swim Team has again requested the Boards approval to use the Greenleaf pool for practices. If the Board agrees, the Greenleaf pool would be the pool that opens 11-7.
Motion: Move that we approve the request.
Zimnik/Simon Vote: Unanimous

D.  XXXX w. Greenleaf Vinyl Fence/Vistas:

This homeowner received approval to install a black vinyl fence at the October ACC Committee meeting. Management has received complaints that this fence is not of the same quality. The ACC Committee approved the vinyl fence as they thought it was an improvement to the wood fence that Ausherman installed. The fence was supposed to be of a higher quality than the original fence. The Builder had informed homeowners that the black wood fence was the only fence the homeowners could use in this area but at no point did the Board tell the homeowners this was the only fence they could use. The Board discussed having the ACC bring future fence request to the Board.
Motion: The Board wants the ACC to bring all fence requests, that vary from the standard black wood fence, in the Vistas area to the Board for approval.
Zimnik/Simon Vote: Unanimous
Action: Management to send this request to the ACC.

 E. Whittier Investments:

A $50,000.00 CD matured on 12/13/10 and there is currently $61,703.64 in the Operating Money Market. Management would recommend leaving $11,703.64 in the Money Market and re-invest $50,000.00 into a 1yr CD that will mature in January 2012.
Motion: Approve the investment.
Simon/Zimnik Vote: Unanimous

 

 

V. COMMITTEE REPORTS

 

A.  ACC: Mr. Long wanted to introduce himself to the Board. He wanted to know the opinion of the Board if someone was building a shed and their house was all brick, what siding would they use on the shed. The Board stated that all houses have a color combination with color of doors and garage doors even if they are all brick and that they should follow that guideline. It was also mentioned that the ACC Guidelines are on the web site now along with the Declaration. The Board also discussed the new area where the homes were built by Drees and they wanted at this time all fence requests other than the black wood fence that the ACC received to be referred to the Board. The Board discussed voting on Mr. Long to the Chair position.
Motion: George Long to become the new ACC Chair.
Simon/Zimnik Vote: Unanimous

B.  Pool Committee: There was discussion of the need for volunteers for the committee. Gary Simon would be happy to help the pool committee. Ms. Marino is interested and she also mentioned a few other names. The bubble isn’t going anywhere - they haven’t contacted us. A Board member mentioned the exterior doors of some of the pools need to be painted.
Action: Management to check on the pool exterior doors.

C.  Townhouse Committee:  A Board member mentioned that the Townhouse Committee has a Facebook page.

D.  Condo Committee: Mr. Wass was interested in volunteering for the Condo Committee.

E. Landscaping Committee: There was mention of tree area that is between the Vistas and the townhomes needs to be checked for died trees.

F. Communication Committee: The web site is up to date. All legal documents are on the web now.

G. Social Committee: Gary Wass interested in the social committee and planning activities for the community. Mr. Zimnik will continue working the Lakeside Festival.

H.  Treasurer’s Report:  Action: Management to change the investment account statements from Gary Simon to Bernarda Jackson.

 

 

VI. OLD BUSINESS

 

There was no old business discussed.

 

VII. NEW BUSINESS

 

A Board member discussed common area trees being trimmed to better a view of a homeowner. The Board referred that the homeowner should contact Management.

 

VIII. ADJOURNMENT

 

There being no additional business for the Board to conduct at this time, the Board meeting adjourned at 8:45pm.
Motion: To adjourn the meeting.
Simon/Zimnik Vote: Unanimous

 

 

Please note the next scheduled meeting is February 22, 2011 at 7:00PM.

 

 

Respectfully yours,

 

Shelly Henning
Recording Secretary