Minutes

           
Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.
Regular Meeting Minutes

May 24, 2011

The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at the Somerford House, Frederick, Maryland on May 24, 2011 at 7:00 p.m.


Present

Bill Watt, President
Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer
Jenny Marino, Secretary
Paul Zimnik, Director
Bill Ryan, Director
Gary Wass, Director

 

Absent

Eric Struntz, Vice President
Michael Brown, Director

Others Present

Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative
Liz Van Brunt, Recording Secretary

 

 

I. CALL TO ORDER
 

Mr. Bill Watt, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:02 pm with a quorum present.

 

II. MINUTES

 

The Board discussed the April 26, 2011 minutes.
Motion: To approve the April 26, 2011 meeting minutes as amended.       Zimnik/Wass                         Vote: 5            Ryan abstained

 

III. HOMEOWNER FORUM

 

There were no Homeowners present to address the Board.

 

IV. MANAGEMENT REPORT

 

A. Swim Team Request
The swim team would like to use the Greenleaf pool from 8 a.m. – noon on 6/26, 7/9 and 7/16. It was suggested that the Cobblestone pool open at 11 on those days. There should be no extra cost to the HOA. Motion: To approve the request that the Cobblestone pool open at 11:00 on 6/26, 7/9 and 7/16. Marino/Zimnik Vote: unanimous Action: post the new pool hours for those days on the website. A note will be posted on the pool doors too.

B. Bat Boxes
TrapPro, the company contacted about installing the boxes, wrote a letter outlining the drawbacks of having the boxes in the neighborhood. The board discussed the liabilities and potential issues. Tabled until further research is done. Action: Do more research on the impact of bat boxes. Contact the community attorney. Contact the Organization for Bat Conservation and TrapPro for more information. Find out if bats really eat stink bugs.

C. Sidewalk Repairs
The board reviewed three proposals for the common area sidewalk and curb repair as outlined in the management report. Some discussion of proposal details, the exclusions, the cost and the linear feet. The city will inspect the site once done. Motion: To approve JMR Concrete to perform the outlined concrete work for $2880, require that they meet city requirements with quality construction and complete the scope of work as specified by Vanguard. Ryan/Zimnik Vote: 5 Wass abstained

D. Tot Lot “No Trespassing”
Signs The four tot lot signs are very faded. The board was disappointed that they faded so much in five years. Other sign providers will be sought. An email vote can be made. Tabled until further proposals are sought. Action: To investigate other companies that might have signs that might have more longevity.

E. Reserve Investment
Three CDs mature in April/May for a total of $55,000. Management recommends leaving only $25,000 in the Money Market and re-investing $70,000 into a 2016 CD to continue to ladder the funds. Motion: To allow Management to move operating savings as the CDs mature and after evaluation if money is needed in the operating account. If funds are not needed they can be rolled into a one year CD. Ryan/Zimnik Vote: unanimous Motion: To approve leaving $25,000 in the Money Market accounts and re-investing $70,000 into a 2016 CD to continue to ladder the funds. Ryan/Zimnik Vote: unanimous

F. Waiver Request
***** Wetherburne Way – this was previously emailed to the board. The costs requested to be waived are hard costs. Hard costs are not waived Motion: To decline the waiver request. Ryan/Zimnik Vote: unanimous

G. Payment Plan Requests
******* Shelley Circle** - A payment plan was submitted for $100 a month. Motion: To accept the payment plan as presented but not reduced to $556 as also requested. Ryan/Marino Vote: unanimous **** Wetherburne - A payment plan was submitted for $25 extra a month. Motion: To accept the payment plan as presented until her balance is paid as long as she knows she is responsible for the regular dues at the same time. Marino/Ryan Vote: unanimous

H. Financial Reports
The board would like to see a summary financial report of the past 10 years. The board also inquired about the data backup security. Vanguard does daily backups. Action: Present the trending of all the financial subtotals and create a spreadsheet for all those items for the last ten years at year end; or at least as far back as there is information. Action: Find out what Vanguard’s data integrity plans are; if there is off site backup; who owns the Whittier digital data upon transfer of management companies, according to the contract, and if it is exportable.

I. Pool
The Cobblestone Pool vacuum is reported to be weak.

 

 

V. COMMITTEE REPORTS

 

A.  ACC: none

B.  Pool Committee: none

C.  Townhouse Committee: none

D.  Condo Committee: The Charlton House Way properties that abut the Laketree Condo parking lot have a lot of trash out back and fences which are in disrepair. There is a dead tree that may become an issue. Backyards of single families are not walked during inspections. With addresses, Vanguard can write violation letters.

E. Landscaping Committee: There is a lot of overgrown grass down the hill near the Longfellow reforestation area. It was very difficult to cut and they left the job undone. The area needs to be determined whether it is common area. The area was mowed last year. Action: Nancy to determine who owns the property in question. Classic needs to know what needs mowed in this area.

F. Communication Committee: none

G. Social Committee: Festival is August 2nd. Recommend Famous Dave’s for catering. People are needed to help set up and clean up. Tables and chairs have been ordered. The boats will be on the lake if all goes well. Donations are welcome. Bill will contact the Ausherman. NAC will receive money for participating and will be asked how they are participating. Entertainment will be booked and lake activities will be scheduled. Hobbytown will be contacted about their remote control boats. It was noted that the middle fountain is broken. They would like to bring back the same clown/balloon maker. Organizations can host a table but nothing can be sold. Lowes will be there and will hopefully hold a workshop. Eric is assigned to handle the catering. Bernarda will contact Wegmans about participating.

H.  Treasurer’s Report:  None

 

 

VI. OLD BUSINESS

 

Yard sale is the second Saturday in June. Eric may have the signs.

There is a weed that needs to be inspected. The board can look at it.

 

VII. NEW BUSINESS

 

There was no new business discussed.

 

VIII. ADJOURNMENT

 

There being no additional business for the Board to conduct at this time, the board meeting adjourned at 8:52 p.m. Motion: To adjourn the meeting at 8:52. Ryan/Jackson Vote: unanimous

 

 

Please note the next scheduled meeting is June 28 at 7:00 p.m.

 

 

Respectfully yours,

 

Liz Van Brunt
Recording Secretary